Crusade against the Assyrian name

Sharukinu said:
Yes. This is true however, by having various ancestors, we have a little bit of genes from each. The more races we derive from, the less we become likely to reflect any particular one of them. On the other hand, all these populations that we're discussing already mixed by the Neo-Assyrian Empire at the latest. That means that even 2600 years ago, most of our ancestors were Assyrian citizens who had this mixed ancestry.

But is it true that we have the most connection to the ancient assyrian history? Also the Akkadian, sumerian, Aramean etc history,  but the most connection to the ancient assyrian history?

Neta1991 said:
But is it true that we have the most connection to the ancient assyrian history? Also the Akkadian, sumerian, Aramean etc history,  but the most connection to the ancient assyrian history?

By descending from the citizens of the Neo-Assyrian Empire, we are ultimately descended from the rest.

In the beginning of December 2016, the Assyrian professor Efrem Yildiz was invited to the Assyro-Chaldean club in Mechelen, Belgium, to lecture about Assyrian identity, especially the different names within the Assyrian people. The club is inside the building of the Chaldean church in the city. When Patriarch Louis Sako heard about the lecture, he ordered the local priests to boycott it and to tell their congregation not to attend. However, about a hundred members of the club did attend, because Prof. Yildiz is an appreciated scholar who knows many of them personally. The reason Patriarch Saco tried to stop the lecture may have been a letter of Prof. Yildiz to him last year when Patriarch Sako established a Chaldean League in Paris, where he denounces any connection to the Assyrians.He also wonders how a Chaldean patriarch would like to create a Chaldean nation in Nineveh ? the heartland of Ashur.

Prof. Yildiz is determined to reject such divisive acts whoever is committing them. He is a member of Chaldean Catholic church of Babylon and urges Assyrian cleric not to interfere in politics, because this has harmed the Assyrian Nation in the past, he says from his office in the University of Salamanca, Spain, where he holds the professur in Semitic languages.

Source: assyriaTV.org

^Thanks for the info, Ashoor. It's a shame how the actions of a few ignorant/selfish leaders can harm the Assyrian community at large and keep us divided into religious sects.

Michael the Great is The Only one saying we are assyrians, is There anyone else in our community that said it? Someone living in ancient times

Its funny that you lie some times, ephrem the syrian and michael the great and many other ancient priests and ancient people clearly said we are arameans, i see myself as aramean and assyrian, but mostly assyrian because we speak east aramaic and come from assyria, and syria being derived from assyria. I know that ancient people said we are assyrians too, so you dont need to mention that.

I have one question, how sure are you that syriac orthodox members of the past and today are mainly assyrian, when l talked to svante lundgren and author about ancient and modern assyrians he said " Are the suryoye Assyrians or Aramaens? I would say both. They certainly have their origins in the ancient Assyrian Empire and there is definitely an Aramaen element in their tradition.", so maybe suryoye are assyrians that have been influenced by arameans and the same about suryaye? Of all the church fathers of the past before 1800 ad they all said we are arameans, ephraim the syrian, and many others, on exception is michael the great who said we are both aramean and assyrian. I don't know about this subject because it's complicated, should we trust our church fathers? Why would mor afrem call himself and his people arameans? was he an aramean, are syriacs arameans, how can you be so sure that we are assyrians? maybe we are both? there are so many questiions that l don't know, when l talk to a syriac-aramean he says about what other people called us and they called us arameans and assyrians throughout time, and what our church fathers called us in ancient times, and they called us arameans, especially the syriac orthodox church churchfathers. I am trying to be neutral as much as possible but i don't know about this, l am just here to find help and don't know anyone who are expert in this subject. I am asking for help so to make me understand this better......

Back