Country Talk: Crime & Punishment

mrzurnaci

so I was thinking: How should criminals be punished in our society?

I was thinking murder should always result in the death penalty but another alternative is why not make criminals work (slave labor) to pay off their crime?

I've thought up a philosophy for this: practical punishment that fits the crime.

Example, if a criminal shoplifts from a store, our judges should make them work for the amount they stole.

or if a criminal commits murder, they must work for life, from then to the tomb.

What do you guys think?

Single murder: Life sentence, maybe allow parole for good behaviour

Manslaughter: 15-20 years, depending on the severity (can be lower or even higher than this gap)

Shoplifting: Just a fine would do at first. Jail for one year if perpetrator continues the habit.

Drug use: Depends on the context, fines and a few years in jail would do

Multiple murders or heinous, inhumane torturous killing: Death sentence

Neon said:
Single murder: Life sentence, maybe allow parole for good behaviour

Manslaughter: 15-20 years, depending on the severity (can be lower or even higher than this gap)

Shoplifting: Just a fine would do at first. Jail for one year if perpetrator continues the habit.

Drug use: Depends on the context, fines and a few years in jail would do

Multiple murders or heinous, inhumane torturous killing: Death sentence

Rape/ pedophillia: Minimum 25 years or capital punishment

Terrorism: Lifetime sentence or Capital punishment 

Assyrian Nationalist said:
Rape/ pedophillia: Minimum 25 years or capital punishment

Terrorism: Lifetime sentence or Capital punishment 
Rape (but no murder): 10-20 years, depending on the severity (I don't think you should take somebody's life if they just want to rape you, that's barbaric)

Rape (and attempt to kill): 30 years

Rape and murder: Life sentence, maybe capital punishment if it's severe enough

Pedophilia (no assault): 5-10 years and some counselling (these people are just mentally deficit and they're barely violent)

Pedophilia (accompanied by violent abuse and assault): 30 years to life sentence, depending on the severity and how hurt the victim is

Fraud: Heavy fines or 1 year in prison

Speeding: As above

Domestic violence: 6 months prison or counselling, and community service

Also, although no one mentioned it here, I've always envisaged the criminalisation of adultery in an hypothetical Assyrian state. Not that Assyrians tend to be infidelious, however, I can't help but realise the legitimisation and tolerance of adultery has exacerbated faithlessness and has helped this slut culture, and deterioration of the integrity of women and men fester. Explicitly, women are seen as experimental and brave when they pursue multiple relationships and men, in the same light, are seen as 'players' and are rewarded for their cheating.

Thus, for the crime of adultery, I would decree a few years imprisonment, possible slave labour (or to embellish that term; 'community service'  :msnwink:) and a significant forfeiture of assets on behalf of the cheat to the individual who was wrongfully cheated on.

Mr. Tambourine Man said:
Also, although no one mentioned it here, I've always envisaged the criminalisation of adultery in an hypothetical Assyrian state. Not that Assyrians tend to be infidelious, however, I can't help but realise the legitimisation and tolerance of adultery has exacerbated faithlessness and has helped this slut culture, and deterioration of the integrity of women and men fester. Explicitly, women are seen as experimental and brave when they pursue multiple relationships and men, in the same light, are seen as 'players' and are rewarded for their cheating.

Thus, for the crime of adultery, I would decree a few years imprisonment, possible slave labour (or to embellish that term; 'community service'  :msnwink:) and a significant forfeiture of assets on behalf of the cheat to the individual who was wrongfully cheated on.

perhaps you're right! adultery (defined as having sex with a person not your spouse) can be punished through public humiliation maybe? Nothing harsh like physical punishments but I think a good public shaming should be enough.

Legal justice system.
Death penalty should be administered to the really hopeless and severe cases.

Religious sins shouldn't be treated by legal system unless they're actively harmful to the community: like murder, coveting neighbour possessions and acting on it, abusing loved ones and strangers, bearing false witness, damaging families, harming our community standing to the world, selling our lands (greed). If minor sins are treated like major crimes, then the legal system would be tied to religion, and that;s the opposite of secular.

Of course, this is case by case.

We shouldn't become like Saudi Arabia.

mrzurnaci said:
perhaps you're right! adultery (defined as having sex with a person not your spouse) can be punished through public humiliation maybe? Nothing harsh like physical punishments but I think a good public shaming should be enough.
Um no, that's a very Islamic way of thinking. Public shaming may not be that bad, but we shouldn't do it for those who commit adultery. This isn't the 10th century.

Neon said:
Um no, that's a very Islamic way of thinking. Public shaming may not be that bad, but we shouldn't do it for those who commit adultery. This isn't the 10th century.

how is that islamic thinking? Islamic thinking would be to stone adulterers. What I was thinking was putting their pictures on our news TV and say these two people cheated on their spouses.

mrzurnaci said:
how is that islamic thinking? Islamic thinking would be to stone adulterers. What I was thinking was putting their pictures on our news TV and say these two people cheated on their spouses.
This is still as ridiculous. Someone cheating on another shouldn't be newsworthy. Putting their pictures on TV because they committed adultery? Lol...This reminds of some dystopian sci-fi film.

Neon said:
This is still as ridiculous. Someone cheating on another shouldn't be newsworthy. Putting their pictures on TV because they committed adultery? Lol...This reminds of some dystopian sci-fi film.

why not? they committed the ultimate social taboo. If they don't make it on the news, they'll make it to the gossip :)

mrzurnaci said:
why not? they committed the ultimate social taboo. If they don't make it on the news, they'll make it to the gossip :)
Are you going to be that husband who will be very overprotective of, and jealous for, his wife? Lol.

Gossiping is fine. We all do it.

Neon said:
Are you going to be that husband who will be very overprotective of, and jealous for, his wife? Lol.

Gossiping is fine. We all do it.

overprotective? no
jealous for? no.

women are plenty, I will only protect the ones that actually care for me.

mrzurnaci said:
overprotective? no
jealous for? no.

women are plenty, I will only protect the ones that actually care for me.
5'11 is really tall (and girls dig that). Have you gotten a chick yet? Lol.

Neon said:
5'11 is really tall (and girls dig that). Have you gotten a chick yet? Lol.

not yet, Assyrian girls are rather rare where I live. I found one in high school but she wasn't into me long term so I broke it off with her.

mrzurnaci said:
not yet, Assyrian girls are rather rare where I live. I found one in high school but she wasn't into me long term so I broke it off with her.
An Assyrian girl you found?

mrzurnaci said:
50a.png

Back