Could You Go Vegan?....

rumrum

I'm considering staying Vegan for another 50 days after Lent (soma).  Right now I'm fasting from pretty much everything and I feel healthier and have actually lost 12 lbs in the process :)  I have decided to stay vegan for another 50 days after just to see how far I can go... maybe go longer or turn vegan flat out!  :shades:

Personally the food doesn't bother me as much, you honestly get used to it.  There are temptations yes, but even temptations to food are just memories in our heads that have been programmed since we were 5 years old eating McDonalds.  And believe it or not, there is a lot of vegan (soy-substitute) food out there that's pretty good.

Anyway, just wanted to share and to get your thoughts on this.  Good idea? Bad  idea?  Worth doing? Experiment?

rumrum said:
I'm considering staying Vegan for another 50 days after Lent (soma).   Right now I'm fasting from pretty much everything and I feel healthier and have actually lost 12 lbs in the process :)   I have decided to stay vegan for another 50 days after just to see how far I can go... maybe go longer or turn vegan flat out!  :shades:

Personally the food doesn't bother me as much, you honestly get used to it.  There are temptations yes, but even temptations to food are just memories in our heads that have been programmed since we were 5 years old eating McDonalds.  And believe it or not, there is a lot of vegan (soy-substitute) food out there that's pretty good.

Anyway, just wanted to share and to get your thoughts on this.  Good idea? Bad  idea?  Worth doing? Experiment?

Good experience to try, I guess, but I would never even want to attempt it.

I like doing a vegan soma for Advent and Lent, but this year I didn't. It's not so bad. There are plenty of delicious foods that are vegan.

God created all the animals for us to care for and for us to eat, besides if we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?

It's unhealthy to not eat meat. There is a danger of Vegan diet! The most healthy people eat a larger amount of raw fruits and vegies and eat less meat and cooked food. Make sure to have oils in your diet like Avocado oil, Heep seed oil, Olive Oil, and Coconut Oil.  

Oh god, never.  My co-worker is a vegan (not out of choice, doctor's orders.) How much lentil and potatoes can one person eat? Going out to lunch is ridiculous as only certain places even offer vegan options, and surprisingly they always seem like the most expensive items.

Every few months his doctor will give him "a break" -- not to relieve the poor man from his misery, but because he gets anemic from the lack of protein, and develops other problems because he doesn't get enough calcium either. 

I'll stick with my charred animal carcas, thank you very much  :lol:

Maybe vegetarian, but definitely not vegan.  I'm not big on eating meat all the time but every now and then I will crave a steak or burger.  I can't go long without my cheese, eggs, milk, etc. 

Hey rum, make sure the stuff you eat doesn't have whey in it.  Just cause something says non-dairy, it doesn't always mean its completely "vegan".

I do it for Lent but I do not think I could ever do it full time, I am the opposite of rumrum and put on weight with the amount of carbs I have  had!  Plus never give up steak for good ever!

I love my food too much to give it up.

I dont gain weight, i can eat what i want and i make sure i keep fit doing it  :bangin:

AssyrianDrummer said:
I love my food too much to give it up.

I dont gain weight, i can eat what i want and i make sure i keep fit doing it  :bangin:

It don't matter... always eat healthy  :)

Noon said:
Maybe vegetarian, but definitely not vegan.  I'm not big on eating meat all the time but every now and then I will crave a steak or burger.  I can't go long without my cheese, eggs, milk, etc. 

Hey rum, make sure the stuff you eat doesn't have whey in it.  Just cause something says non-dairy, it doesn't always mean its completely "vegan".

Thanks for the heads up but I've become quite the expert label reader now!  lol  It's easier too because now they put in bold at the end of the ingredients: Contains: Soy, Wheat, Milk, Eggs, etc.

I could do without meat for a while. But the no dairy part would kill me.  I could probably live on bread, olives, watermelon, and labne.

Hookah said:
I could do without meat for a while. But the no dairy part would kill me.  I could probably live on bread, olives, watermelon, and labne.

I'm with you 100% there.

~*Merooona*~ said:
Ramsin.. how did you loose weight on the vegan diet?? All those carbs would make me huge.

To be honest I have no clue :)  I guess my body processes carbs better than fat.

If we turned Vegan, could we still have "Mommys milk?" type cheese  :giggle:

oh and please read the thread titled "mommys milk" before you think im a complete weird person LOL

rumrum said:
I'm considering staying Vegan for another 50 days after Lent (soma).   Right now I'm fasting from pretty much everything and I feel healthier and have actually lost 12 lbs in the process :)   I have decided to stay vegan for another 50 days after just to see how far I can go... maybe go longer or turn vegan flat out!  :shades:

i wishhhh i could do that! like what are u doing to lose that much weight? i wanna try it but its sooo hard cuz i dont live at home =(

shushu said:
i wishhhh i could do that! like what are u doing to lose that much weight? i wanna try it but its sooo hard cuz i dont live at home =(

Actually if you eat hot pepper with your food that can help... but also GREEN TEA will help lossing that pound! :clap:

I did the vegan thing for lent this year too... I lost a good 10 pounds.
But i thats mainly because i rarely ate and now im so used to have like one meal a day and being fine!

i think i could be able to stay vegan but i think it was easier bc i was fasting and i was able to force myself to resist temptation bc i had a reason.

but i think on a normal day it would be harder for me.... especially since almost everything has some kind of dairy in it.

i would keep doing it if it wasnt for that fact that i miss easting cheese lol

I could, if I didn't live at home and I organised my meals properly... There is a lot of yummy, healthy and nutritious foods to choose from. Good luck rumrum!

GreenTea said:
Actually if you eat hot pepper with your food that can help... but also GREEN TEA will help lossing that pound! :clap:

i dont like spicy foods lol...and the green tea their are soo many types that i wouldn't know which to get haha

False alarm everyone, turns out I stopped the vegan diet.  Not out of temptation but I figure I'll start small and work my way out of it.  I had easter eggs for breakfast and had a nice dinner last night with family.  I think if I continue to eat right and exercise I can keep up the weight loss.

Back