• Our popular and beloved forums are finally back, after being down since April 2018 due to hosting and server issues. We have now switched to a better platform, while maintenaing all data as it was before (contents and user names) . Thank you for your patience and loyalty. If you have any questions, need to report an error, or are having trouble logging in, please email us at: assyrianvoice@rogers.com

Convention worth it this year?

ninous26

I am local here and I'm thinking about getting a room for 3 nights because its pretty cheap and it's in a really nice area. Those poor people at that hotel don't know what they've got coming lol.

Anyway, it doesn't seem like it will be a good turnout because Phoenix is an oddball city for conventions.. Seems like every convention is lame if its not in Chicago or Detroit. Anyone think its worth it to go? Last thing I want to see is a bunch of old people lol.. No offense or anything..

AssyrianBookTa

Chicago convention last year was horrible compared to previous years as far as attendence and organization.

I would still go to support and attend the lectures.

jacob

AssyrianBookTa said:
Chicago convention last year was horrible compared to previous years as far as attendence and organization.

I would still go to support and attend the lectures.
Are they going to have any lectures this year? Chicago was a huge disappointment in that department last year, with the exception of one decent panel discussion.  The other political party one was not that interesting.  But even with that, only having two panel discussions for the whole convention was a huge failure in my opinion.  What is the purpose of these conventions if the organizers are only going to focus on the parties?

ASHOOR

Administrator
Staff member
jacob said:
Are they going to have any lectures this year? Chicago was a huge disappointment in that department last year, with the exception of one decent panel discussion.  The other political party one was not that interesting.  But even with that, only having two panel discussions for the whole convention was a huge failure in my opinion.  What is the purpose of these conventions if the organizers are only going to focus on the parties?
Tell me about it!

It is ironic in that the convention itself was first started to discuss and answer important questions regarding the fate and safety of our people back home. How has it drifted away from its original goals and objectives. It is ironic in that our people back home, are facing just as much dangers and uncertainty, yet no many care to even discuss it at the convention.

I guess it is more popular to have parties so the young can have fun?

ASHOOR

AssyrianBookTa

With the amount of people that attend convention it's a shame that when they do have the seminars only 30 people show up. I think that plays a big roll in why they don't do any anymore. I wish more people would attend and care but they don't. So they can hopefuly make the money from convention andhelp our people back home.

ASHOOR

Administrator
Staff member
AB, I wish the convention organizers would check this forum to see and read what people want. It is not just fun and entertainment. We want some educational and cultural programs as well.

ASHOOR

rumrum

I disagree, I think this year will be a good turnout.  A lot of west coast Assyrians, and midwest (Chicago) will attend.

You are all right about the events aside from parties.  Having co-chaired the lecture/forums for the 2006 Chicago Convention I can assure you it's a lot of work trying to put these events together.  There is a lot of collaboration and meetings to ensure that the quality of the events is worth it.  That said, I'm not sure who is running those events this year if there are any, which would be sad.  I agree that parties are fun and semi-important, but if we don't have other events such as lectures, seminars, informal lounge sessions, movie showings, etc.... then it becomes just one big non-descript social gathering.