• Our popular and beloved forums are finally back, after being down since April 2018 due to hosting and server issues. We have now switched to a better platform, while maintenaing all data as it was before (contents and user names) . Thank you for your patience and loyalty. If you have any questions, need to report an error, or are having trouble logging in, please email us at: assyrianvoice@rogers.com

Computer scince or Accounting?

~..Parkhaneeta..~

ufff iam really confused and dont wanna know what major i wanna be in.
can the people who works any of those, just tell me what the work is, or which one u recomment i should take.
i took a programing class 2 semsters ago and this semester iam taking accounting class to see which one i like more, but i still confused, cuz iam kinda liking accounting, but thinking that computer scince is better.(love to work with computers)

(if u work with computers, just tell me what ur major is and hows the shoula)

Uneek

Im taking Programming subject.
At first i was creating simple applications using C#. Now, it is much more complicated.
Im not liking it. So, i think you should stick with accounting.
:)

Tambur

I work as a programmer and went to university for computer science, the pay is very good, but if you don't like solving problems and you don't have strong logic it's best that you steer away.

Good luck.

Uneek

Tambur said:
I work as a programmer and went to university for computer science, the pay is very good, but if you don't like solving problems and you don't have strong logic it's best that you steer away.

Good luck.
SOOOOO TRUE!!!!  :blush2: Sometimes i feel like my head is gonna explode  :ranting:

~..Parkhaneeta..~

Oh  thank you guys for the info. So you think i should just stick with Accounting?And do you think that i can make good money as computer scince?

Tambur

Well I don't know much about accounting but I do know that you have to be good with finance math and like to work with numbers, from what I hear the pay is good too.

I think you know your ability more than any one of us, both subject need work and problem solving.

RadRides

Look at job statistics for accounting.  It was the #1 major amongst college students and top in number of students who graduated with that degree.  If you want to number crunch all day, do it.  If you want to do what Tambur said, then choose that.  If you have a love for computers, writing code, and such, CS is for you.

~..Parkhaneeta..~

Oh okay , thank you guys
Well iam kinda liking accounting cuz there are too many things you can do, like each chapter iam learning something new about it,

Dalida

I took Business Accounting in college and i work as bookkeeper now. I really liked accounting because it came really easy to me and im better with numbers more then i will ever be with words. I really enjoy my job and i think i made the right career choice for myself.

I hope you like accounting because it is alot of work and numbers sometimes.

Good Luck.  :)

~..Parkhaneeta..~

cuttie said:
I took Business Accounting in college and i work as bookkeeper now. I really liked accounting because it came really easy to me and im better with numbers more then i will ever be with words. I really enjoy my job and i think i made the right career choice for myself.

I hope you like accounting because it is alot of work and numbers sometimes.

Good Luck.  :)

Oh thats nice!

ANd thats the only reason iam going for accounting because it has too many ways that you can work, you can eve do the tax return( correct me if iam wrong)

Thank you hun

Ashuriena

You can test the waters for both and see what you like better. My friend started off as a CIS major and she liked it a lot, but she struggled way too much, so she switched over to accounting and she loved it. She now uses both skills and works for a major movie company in IT Finance.

~..Parkhaneeta..~

Ashuriena said:
You can test the waters for both and see what you like better. My friend started off as a CIS major and she liked it a lot, but she struggled way too much, so she switched over to accounting and she loved it. She now uses both skills and works for a major movie company in IT Finance.

Hmm thats exactly what iam trying to do, if i have time , i can take both

Herro You

Do accounting, and aim to become a CPA (if you are in North America, being a CPA is very valuable).  If you want to work in the UK or Aust, try and become a CA (Chartered Accountant - me soon!).

With accounting, there are just some many career paths to choose from, just from having a solid knowledge base of basic accounting (bookkeeping is a great place to start) & the right qualifications.

Specifically, I like auditing and advising small to medium companies and helping them grow their business.  It's really rewarding and satisfying at the same time - plus you get to be out of the office and travel to other companies..

But know this, you may have to work long hours at times, especially during the reporting periods.

Just remember, if you are interested in what you are studying/working, then you will go places. Good luck! :)

~..Parkhaneeta..~

Herro You said:
Do accounting, and aim to become a CPA (if you are in North America, being a CPA is very valuable).  If you want to work in the UK or Aust, try and become a CA (Chartered Accountant - me soon!).

With accounting, there are just some many career paths to choose from, just from having a solid knowledge base of basic accounting (bookkeeping is a great place to start) & the right qualifications.

Specifically, I like auditing and advising small to medium companies and helping them grow their business.  It's really rewarding and satisfying at the same time - plus you get to be out of the office and travel to other companies..

But know this, you may have to work long hours at times, especially during the reporting periods.

Just remember, if you are interested in what you are studying/working, then you will go places. Good luck! :)

Thank you so much for these info,, ummm i have a question, so if you do financial accounting,, can you do that tax returnes too? i mean is it in the same filed?

Herro You

khalto najeeba said:
Thank you so much for these info,, ummm i have a question, so if you do financial accounting,, can you do that tax returnes too? i mean is it in the same filed?
Yes.  Tax returns are easy.  It's one of the first things you will learn how to do after a few months of experience...

Dalida

Herro You said:

Here in Canada we call it a CA-Chartered Accountant aswell. 

I hated Income tax course in college. It was so boring. Ever since i graduated i never did income tax. I only do taxes for my work, Payroll tax, GST. I do more financial work than tax and i prefer that.