Chaldean Dialect VS Assyrian Dialect

xnicksomox

Can you guys tell me if you understand these songs? The first 2 will be a man from my own village, and also Issam Arabo from Alqosh. (Our villages are very similar)

Hoy Mani Mani (Chaldean Songs)

kibinakh - adnan mansor

brataedmathwatha.mov

Please tell me if you can understand these songs:

VERY BAD (understand nothing), BAD (understand barely anything), MEDIUM (understand half), GOOD (understand most), and VERY GOOD (understand everything)

***************************************************************************************

Then also post some Assyrian songs (maybe corresponding to the way you speak at home) and see if I can understand it.

I'd really like to see how different we speak from each other and I think you guys might be surprised how different Urmi and Tyari are to me a Chaldean from Batnaya.

VERY GOOD (understand everything)

Of course (and this is the case even with certain Assyrian songs) there are always words you won't get or understand.

ASHOOR

BTW these songs you posted Nick, the dialect is not very hard to understand. I would say the first one would be the hardest (relatively speaking)

ASHOOR

ASHOOR that is exactly why I don't really like to much Assyrian music. Like you said the words are very basic and don't take too much to understand. In lots of Assyrian music they try to use very complicated and ancient words. Some people might enjoy researching those words, but I like to listen to music for fun and enjoyment. I don't want to here a very very very ancient word in a song lol. It's like American music now. I wouldn't want to here something in Old English in a pop song lol.

Yes my dialect (Chaldean) and village (Batnaya) are very unique.

Batnaya shares most of the grammar with all other Chaldean villages, but also it shares a little bit with Assyrian, making it easier for Baybatnaye to hear both Chaldean and Assyrian dialects.

For example: with them = "minayhee" (alqosh, telkeppe, telsquf). "Minehin" (Batnaya, Zakho, Shaqlawa, Bartilla, Assyrian)

Also we have the example of the words for "with/from".

(Alqosh, telkeppe, telsquf) say "3em" as with and "Min" as from

(Batnaya, Zakho, Shaqlawa, Bartilla, Assyrian) say "Min" as with and "Min" as from

But on the other hand our vocabulary and grammar corresponds with the Main Chaldean grammar. So we from Batnaya have a pretty nice mix :D

Well Barwar is closer to our Chaldean Mathwatha right? I saw the video you posted of that little girl and she talks just like us. So your parents are Barwarnaye?

Actually the 2nd video I understand more, but I think it's just because I couldn't really hear the words from the first video.

What is Ashetha? Tyari?

Yes, you can saw our dialect (toora) is closer to you guys somewhat.

Ashetha used to be part of Tyareh but now the population is so big, we just label it as its own milat.

ASHOOR

Yeah im not sure but aren't Barwarnaye the closest to the Chaldeans (in distance)? I think you guys also pronounce more "th" and "dh" instead of "t" and "d". For example "mathwatha" not "matwata" right?

Ohh ok so almost the same thing.

Idk there's just a lot of Assyrian songs that sound nothing like how we talk. Even the Juliana Barwar song sometimes sounds like Chaldean but a lot of times I don't understand. I understand the Alqosh, Zakho, Telkeppe songs completely though. Also have you heard the Juliana Jendo Chobia song, the second part after all the Arabic? That is Chaldean we use on the daily for haflas and one of the best Khigga songs ever. Same with her Bagiye (Khigga Shekhani) song.

"Akhny eewokh gooreh d'matha, lo lo lo, hoy bagiye, Zage wokh d'm7alatha, roosheh la wandeeye.
ila d'ashqeewa bnatha, lo lo lo, hoy bagiye, la syeg oo la 7ujyatha, roosheh la wandeeye."

"telkepnetha min dimmy, dodhina kaltha d'yimmee, shaqlaleh bethy w dimmy, eeqara w takhran shimmy....Eela 7milta il gare, tleeba kim ashrawaleh, ila nashqity daha, palga d'oomry bid zale."

That is right, for us it is all about 'th', I never use 't' including the word 'mathwatha', 'khenwatha',

am not sure, but i probably have heard that Juliana song.

I personally don't have a problem understanding any Assyrian song, doesn't matter what the dialect is. Including Evin Agassi, who uses some of the most advanced words and vocabulary in the Assyrian language (no 'slele l'barya, rabenwa seya' crap!)

ASHOOR

Yeah i thought so. I think it's because Barwar is very close to the Chaldean villages. For me, I am born in America but Sureth used to be my first language. I have no idea how in the hell it happened but going through school I went to about 3rd grade (8 or 9 yrs old) and my language flipped to being English mainly and Sureth second. Then my family went on a 2 month vacation to Iraq (Baghdad, then our village of Batnaya) and re learned any Sureth I had forgotten. (Keep in mind in America we don't use words like "danderma" or "gare" though) you know what i mean? I still have lots of words I don't know because of my living in America. Now English has taken over as my first language but I speak Sureth almost like I just left Iraq lol. Although my aunt who just came to America says my family's accent sounds a little more like Alqoshnaye then Batnaye hahahha maybe because for our First Communion all songs/hymns are taught in our "official" Alqosh dialect.

Ok so for the first and last ones I understood a lot of the words and most grammar but some vocabulary I've never heard.

The one in between was a lot easier to understand but the grammar was different than I'm used to. Like for "Zamrakh" i think it means "we sing" for us we say "Zamrookh". But still easy to understand.

The second one that Ashoor posted still remains undefeated lol

xnicksomox said:
Ok so for the first and last ones I understood a lot of the words and most grammar but some vocabulary I've never heard.

The one in between was a lot easier to understand but the grammar was different than I'm used to. Like for "Zamrakh" i think it means "we sing" for us we say "Zamrookh". But still easy to understand.

The second one that Ashoor posted still remains undefeated lol

how about these ones?

Jallou - Shabeh Lawando: ܫܲܒܹܗ ܠܘܲܢܕܵܐ - ܓ̰ܲܠܘ

Punda D'Zoyakhan - Shabeh Lawando | ܦܘܢܕܐ ܕܙܘܝܟ݂ܢ - ܫܒܗ ܠܘܢܕܐ

The 1st one VERY GOOD (almost everything) we don't really use "Urza" though we just say "Gawra" lol

The 2nd BAD (Barely anything) lol idk

But Shabeh Lawando in general is one of my favorite singers. I like the song "Sparta", "Zamrin B'Shimakh", "Orzeleh", "Doos Doos".

The last 2 songs are off his new album. I talked to him on facebook asking how to buy it and he just sent it to me for free :D

nick, u havent heard of URMIA!!!  :blink:   man, the people in oormya (oormejnaye) are the best ones to speak assyrian (they speak it SO pure!)  they have only smaaall mistakes! not alot!     (not like us! :mrgreen: )

and (another thing!) ,  barwarnaye actually are more close to ashetnaye!  (in speaking)

my dad is ashetnaya, and mom is nochiyeta :)  (so i can speak both dialects very good, that i change between them and u wont even know! :mrgreen: )

this is how my dad speaks  (or sings  :mrgreen: )
Faris Esho - 2007 Toly D'Ashietha - Assyrian Chaldean Music
lazar malko - sema u dawa

and this is how mom speaks!
lazar malko - beryashewin
lazar malko - npilta bkhubbukh

Shekwanta I understood the first two very well (I have Simw dla bassa in my car). I also understood the 3rd one very well but the pronunciation is a little different than mine. The last one was very hard to understand.

Back