Book Burning of the Qur'an

AssyrianDrummer

Pastor Terry Jones rejects calls by US secretary of state Hillary Clinton to abandon plans to burn copies of the Qur'an on 11 September Link to this video The gun-toting pastor at the centre of international outrage over his plans to stage a Qur'an burning day to mark the 9/11 attacks says he is determined to go ahead in the face of fierce condemnation from the Obama administration.

The Rev Terry Jones said more than 100 death threats would not put him off Saturday's event, when he plans to lead the burning of 200 copies of the Muslim holy book at his Dove World Outreach Centre in Gainesville, Florida.

"If we don't do it, when do we stop backing down?" he told ABC television. "It's something we need to do, it's a message we need to send."

He confirmed he would be armed during the event. "We our prepared to give our lives for this," he said.

Hillary Clinton, the US secretary of state, led condemnation of the planned burning, describing it as a "disrespectful, disgraceful act". Others in the administration weighed in, including Eric Holder, the attorney general, who called it idiotic and dangerous. A state department spokesman called the planned protest "un-American".

The plans have been greeted with alarm in the Middle Eastern press. Lebanon's Daily Star said they were "likely to ignite a fire of rage that could consume swathes of the globe", while United Arab Emirates paper the Khaleej Times describe the planned burning as "rabid and insane".

David Petraeus, the US and Nato commander in Afghanistan, warned of retaliatory action against US troops after protests took place in the capital Kabul at which effigies of Jones were burned alongside the American flag.

White House spokesman Robert Gibbs echoed the concerns raised by Petraeus. "Any type of activity like that that puts our troops in harm's way would be a concern to this administration," Gibbs said.

Jones said he "understood" those concerns but would press ahead anyway.

"Instead of us backing down, maybe it's time to stand up. Maybe it's time to send a message to radical Islam that we will not tolerate their behaviour," he told Associated Press.

At a meal last night marking the breaking of the Ramadan fast at the state department, Clinton said: "We sit down together for this meal on a day when the news is carrying reports that a pastor down in Gainesville, Florida, plans to burn the holy Qur'an on September 11. I am heartened by the clear, unequivocal condemnation of this disrespectful, disgraceful act that has come from American religious leaders of all faiths, from evangelical Christians to Jewish rabbis as well as secular US leaders and opinion-makers.

"Our commitment to religious tolerance goes back to the very beginning of our nation. Many of you know that in 1790, George Washington wrote to a synagogue in Newport, Rhode Island, that this country will give 'to bigotry no sanction, to persecution no assistance'. The real story of Islam in America can be found in this room and rooms across America. We write it tonight in the spirit of fellowship and the celebration of goodwill that is a hallmark of Ramadan. We will write it in the months and years to come as we continue to reach out to engage people around the world in a search for common ground, common understanding and common respect."

This week, hundreds of Afghans protested outside a Kabul mosque and chanted "Death to America". Members of the crowd pelted a passing US military convoy with stones before being ordered to stop by protest organisers.

On Saturday thousands of Indonesian Muslims demonstrated outside the US embassy in Jakarta and in five other cities to protest against the church's plan. Dove World made headlines last year after distributing T-shirts that said "Islam is of the Devil". The church has been denied a permit to set a bonfire but has vowed to proceed with the burning.

In a joint statement US religious leaders condemned what they described as an "anti-Muslim frenzy" in America. They said this had been whipped up in part by "misinformation and outright bigotry" in response to plans to build an Islamic community centre and mosque close to the site of the 9/11 attacks in New York.

On the plans to burn the Qu'ran the leaders, including Washington Roman Catholic archbishop emeritus Cardinal Theodore McCarrick, Rabbi David Saperstein, head of the Union for Reform Judaism, and Dr Michael Kinnamon of the National Council of Churches said they were "appalled by such disrespect for a sacred text".

Too far? i think so.

more about it here:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/sep/08/hillary-clinton-plan-to-burn-quran-disrespectful

I think showing the Muslims that they make many mistakes due to the content of their holy book is very good.
But burning their holy book is not the right way to show them this criticism, it´s like violance ... and violance brings just more violance.
The world should find a way how to bring reformations to the Islam, reformations which make all the hate and violance texts in the quran void.
Like in Christianity, e.g. in the Second Book of Moses; if we would still accept everything what the OT says than slavery would still be ok or we would not be allowed to give our childrean names like Enleil, Enki, Ishtar, Ianna, and so on.

The reformations belong to the big advantagesof the Christianity compared to Islam, so why Christians should choose a disadvantage of Muslims by burning their holy book?

Even the most fundemental Christians in the US are not taking this guy (Pastor Terry Jones) seriously, so we can see this guy doesn't care about anyone and will go ahead and do this.

I don't see how this will be good for the US or Christianity in general. I understand he is sending a message (and it is being heard loud and clear) but in the long term, it doesn't serve any purpose.

But I still see him making a 360 on Friday or so, after he gets all the attention he needs.

ASHOOR

insensitive, radical westerners have no idea what they are doing and who they are hurting because of their actions

it doesnt help with media using their voice to promote this. If they just ignored him since he runs a small parish, it would just be seen as him and he would get sorted out sooner or later. But now since i have heard about this in England, im sure the rest of the world including the rest of the muslim world will know and use this against them

I just saw the news on TV and became so angry again because of this huge politically incorrectness,

a small radical Christian society which consist of just 50 persons is making something against the Islam ... and the whole world with many of their big political and religious leaders adjudge this action + there is this huge medial attention.

In the same time hudret of thousands (Assyrian and others) Christians are oppressed and forced to flee from their homeland ... but where are these huge international political and religious voices which at least adjudge these actions against us??? + Where is these huge medial attention like in this little case of burning some Muslim books???
NO ONE give a f@ck about this!!!
 :ranting:

AND f@ck to every1 who says "but if we don?t care about ourselves, who should bla bla bla!" First thinking than writing!
http://www.assyrianvoice.net/forum/index.php?topic=39437.0

We don't own huge reserves of oil and strap suicide vests to our chests when people mock us. Of course we don't make the news.

Neither do lots of oppressed people. Millions of women and girls disappear...disappear...each year due to sex trade/sex slavery. Almost no one hears about that.

ateelaW said:
We don't own huge reserves of oil and strap suicide vests to our chests when people mock us. Of course we don't make the news.

Neither do lots of oppressed people. Millions of women and girls disappear...disappear...each year due to sex trade/sex slavery. Almost no one hears about that.

Thanks Waleeta.

Zawoyo, come on man, by now, you should know why "Assyrians" don't get much or any attention from world media. We and our suffering is just not sexy enough. In fact, we can make it more sexy but that will cost us lots of lives and will probably make us look bad too (see what Waleeta said)

It is no longer about suffering and oppression anymore, in this world of media and internet noise. It has to be appealing, sexy and provoking enough.

ASHOOR

Waleeta, isn´t it worth to show something about the sufferings of our ppl in our homeland? I saw many times something about disappearing of little girls and women on TV but I saw nearly nothing about the sufferings of our ppl back home, whether on TV, newspapers or in magazines.

Ashoor, yes, most is very superficial on TV and other medias. I don´t know how the news in other states are but here in Germany the news of the private and governmental tv stations show also often cases where there were a bomb attack against a mosque but nobody was killed.
Is this "sexier" than 50 bomb attacks against our churches in Iraq with injured and killed ppl?
How "sexy" can a bomb attack against a mosque be if there are at least 50 bomb attacks against mosquest every year?

Zawoyo said:
Yes, most is very superficial. I don?t know how the news in other states are but here in Germany the news of the private and governmental tv stations show also often cases where there were a bomb attack against a mosque but nobody was killed.
Is this "sexier" than 50 bomb attacks against our churches in Iraq with injured and killed ppl?
How "sexy" can a bomb attack against a mosque be if there are at least 50 bomb attacks against mosquest every year?

Very good point, but the problem is, even if they do the bomb attacks against Assyrians, they will be a "Christian" thing and not an Assyrian. So even when it is ours, the media screws it up...

ASHOOR

I never said it wasn't worth it.  To be honest, I've seen/read about more on TV/news about Christians in Iraq than I have about women in the sex trade/sex slavery rings. I guess it depends what we read.

Also, I know we're Assyrian, and this is the suffering closest to us, the one we're most familiar with, but anyone been to Congo lately? Did you guys read in my other thread in the News section what it's like for MUSLIM women living in Muslim countries? We're an oppressed minority, but getting a bit tunnel visioned about our situation is just going to drive you nuts.

ASHOOR said:
Very good point, but the problem is, even if they do the bomb attacks against Assyrians, they will be a "Christian" thing and not an Assyrian. So even when it is ours, the media screws it up...

ASHOOR

And now? Let it be a "Christian thing." At least they show something about us. Everybody who doesn?t care about the situation of presecuted ppl in the Middle East doesn?t belong to our target group. Everyone who cares about this situation will make at least a little bit of researches and he will see this "Assyrian thing." And these ppl belong to our target group. It is not important to reach the whole world, just the right ppl.
The more and more growing medial interest in our case combined with our lobby work would make this "Christian thing" to the more and more known "Assyrian Question."

ateelaW said:
I never said it wasn't worth it.

Don´t undertsand me wrong, I know You good enough to know that You care about us and so on...this question was ironically to You.
ateelaW said:
To be honest, I've seen/read about more on TV/news about Christians in Iraq than I have about women in the sex trade/sex slavery rings. I guess it depends what we read.

Maybe it´s because of the different countries with their different kind of media we both are living in.
I don´t read gossip newspapers or magazines.

ateelaW said:
Also, I know we're Assyrian, and this is the suffering closest to us, the one we're most familiar with, but anyone been to Congo lately? Did you guys read in my other thread in the News section what it's like for MUSLIM women living in Muslim countries? We're an oppressed minority, but getting a bit tunnel visioned about our situation is just going to drive you nuts.

Do You want to compare every single situation on this world with our situation?
I know there are ppl who are in a much worse humanitarian situation than our ppl are back home, but as You said before:
ateelaW said:
I never said it wasn't worth it.

Well then I guess I don't understand what you're upset about.  The media/world doesn't care about lots of atrocities, which I think we both can agree on.

This is a reason to be upset to me if they don?t show the bad condition of our ppl back home and it?s still not fair that they don?t show it if they don?t show other persecuted ppl, too.

And I don?t undertsand why even the German Chancellor Angela Merkel gave a statement where she said "this act is so bad, it?s so abhorrent and wrong bla bla bla."
Do there are more governments which have nothing to do with this case but gave such statements?

Because they know the consequences.

You can't even draw Mohammed, let alone burn the Islamic holy book. They'll go crazy. Also, they're politicians - its their job to be diplomatic and condemn anything provocative or violent.

I personally don't give a shit as I only see it as a book, like I see all the other man-made religions, but I'm not looking forward to the suffering of the people who had nothing to do with this.

It has to be said, the guy doing it is an idiot, but by law, he can do it. If I buy something, it is my property and I can destroy it if I want to - he and anyone else is fully entitled to do that.

Yes, but doing this accomplishes nothing except - my favorite phrase - fulfills some idiot's revenge fantasy. There's no reason to be needlessly provacative, especially when the outcome can be deadly. Then you're just an a**hole.

Besides, if what he is trying to prove is that Islam is deadly, he preaching to the choir. I doubt there's anyone on the planet that doesn't already know that.

Christians are getting killed daily in Egypt, Iraq, Indonesia, Turkey etc but Christian nations aren't going out killing Muslim soldiers. Let them burn the Qur'an and more than that.

ateelaW said:
Yes, but doing this accomplishes nothing except - my favorite phrase - fulfills some idiot's revenge fantasy. There's no reason to be needlessly provacative, especially when the outcome can be deadly. Then you're just an a**hole.

Besides, if what he is trying to prove is that Islam is deadly, he preaching to the choir. I doubt there's anyone on the planet that doesn't already know that.

Agreed. I said he's a blithering idiot and just another dumb Christian nutter, but by law, he can do it.

Hanuni said:
Christians are getting killed daily in Egypt, Iraq, Indonesia, Turkey etc but Christian nations aren't going out killing Muslim soldiers. Let them burn the Qur'an and more than that.

See what I made bold above.

Typical (insert religious affiliation) fundamentalists. 

This action that does nothing productive, but will impact the Christians in the middle east who constantly end up paying the price for their ignorant and selfish counterparts in the west.

I'm a secular Christian who hate religious fanaticism. The only thing your replies show is that you have bought the Western concept of surrender and the "we are better than them, let them rape our women". Get it out of your system and live in reality. No one's going to save you from the Muslim Ummah in the long term. Christians of the ME are not targets because of the West, they are because they were incompetent in uniting and securing their areas when they had the chance.

Hanuni said:
I'm a secular Christian who hate religious fanaticism. The only thing your replies show is that you have bought the Western concept of surrender and the "we are better than them, let them rape our women". Get it out of your system and live in reality. No one's going to save you from the Muslim Ummah in the long term. Christians of the ME are not targets because of the West, they are because they were incompetent in uniting and securing their areas when they had the chance.

I don't see it as surrender, I see it as pointless.  So this guy and his evangelical pals burn those qurans.....and then?  What exactly are they hoping to accomplish?  Those that hate islam will continue to do so, those that revere it will be even more inflamed.  Is this action promoting any kind of rational dialogue?  Is it helping foster peace in any way?  Is it educational to the community at large? 

NO.

Will the lunatic faction of muslims use this as an excuse to do what they always do to us?  Will this tiny, insignificant group make headlines and be cast as representing how most westerners/christians feel?  Will it foster even more hate and division?

YES.

Zawoyo said:
I think showing the Muslims that they make many mistakes due to the content of their holy book is very good.
But burning their holy book is not the right way to show them this criticism, it´s like violance ... and violance brings just more violance.
The world should find a way how to bring reformations to the Islam, reformations which make all the hate and violance texts in the quran void.
Like in Christianity, e.g. in the Second Book of Moses; if we would still accept everything what the OT says than slavery would still be ok or we would not be allowed to give our childrean names like Enleil, Enki, Ishtar, Ianna, and so on.

The reformations belong to the big advantagesof the Christianity compared to Islam, so why Christians should choose a disadvantage of Muslims by burning their holy book?

I found something on aina, they quoted Andrew C. McCarthy from the National Review Online:

(...)"Moderate Islam" is a dream, not a reality. It is a dream with potential, because there are millions of Muslims who are moderate people, and because there are dedicated Muslims working to transform their faith into something that is institutionally moderate. But they work against great odds. They confront Islamists whose dedication to theocratic principles is deeply and undeniably rooted in Islamic scripture. And they confront American opinion elites who, wittingly or not, serve as the lifeline of the Islamists.(...)
http://www.aina.org/news/20100908142445.htm

You can read the whole article if You want

Back