Best Way to Record 'Dola w Zorna'

ASHOOR

Administrator
Staff member
Phenomon and Biryani, I think this is your speciality lol

how to bestb record from dola w zorna? we know that these two musical instruments are not digital so there is no way of recording from them directly.

Any other way? from a recorder only?

ASHOOR

:blink:

just get the musicians to play in ur room.. turn the mic on ur computer on... and there u have it..

then u can goof around with a mixer, or whatever to make it sound better (not that it needs to)

With a mic connected to a portastudio or a PC with a recording software installed like cubase. Start with playing zorna. When finished, add the dawola track on it.

ASHOOR said:
Phenomon and Biryani, I think this is your speciality lol

how to bestb record from dola w zorna? we know that these two musical instruments are not digital so there is no way of recording from them directly.

Any other way? from a recorder only?

ASHOOR

Ashoor, when dealing with a Zurna you need to remember it's a very loud instrument so your going to need to use a microphone which has a high sensitivity rating.

AMT have a great range of mics which you could use for the Zurna.

Now in regards to the dawoola I would mic it up in stereo to pick up the bass hit and also the "snare" hit.

Where you record this depends on what type of sound you want to get. If you have a songs that you want to record then I would record it live together zurna o'dawoola in a nice live room.

Hope that helps.

not to revive this topic but the best way would be to record the zurna and tabla either separately or both of them at the same time recording from the front of the tabla because the Zurna is so loud compared to the Tabla that ur best bet is to simply record from the Tabla's perspective.

How about a digital one that emulates the zurna sound? You can get them off a computer program...

Neon said:
How about a digital one that emulates the zurna sound? You can get them off a computer program...
no they suck lol. I want a Zurna to actually have the authentic vibrating tone of the reed, not the virtual cacophony of crackling asss people call Keyboard Zurna.

mrzurnaci said:
no they suck lol. I want a Zurna to actually have the authentic vibrating tone of the reed, not the virtual cacophony of crackling asss people call Keyboard Zurna.
I hate synthetic Zurna too. The sound is too nauseating.

Neon said:
I hate synthetic Zurna too. The sound is too nauseating.

I wouldn't mind it if the synthetic zurna had that "vibrating" tone that real zurnas have. Without that vibration, it's obvious the zurna from the keyboard.

One Idea i had to mitigate this for music would be to record every individual scale of a Zurna note and edit each one so that you can loop them or modify them in whatever way and still sound like someone is playing a natural zurna!

mrzurnaci said:
I wouldn't mind it if the synthetic zurna had that "vibrating" tone that real zurnas have. Without that vibration, it's obvious the zurna from the keyboard.

One Idea i had to mitigate this for music would be to record every individual scale of a Zurna note and edit each one so that you can loop them or modify them in whatever way and still sound like someone is playing a natural zurna!
No synthetic sound can ever perfectly imitate the real thing. ;)

I can play the keyboard/piano btw. Are you also good with that?

Neon said:
No synthetic sound can ever perfectly imitate the real thing. ;)

I can play the keyboard/piano btw. Are you also good with that?

no, I can't even play the zurna good at all. I don't have the aptitude to "circular breath"

Back