Best political system for Assyrians?

Etain

Assuming that unfortunately, Assyria will never have its own state in Nineveh,which would benefit Assyrians most?
1.)A  completely independant Kurdistan where Assyria has largely autonomous status
2.) Syria and Iraq if things get back to status quo.
3.) Bilad al sham. A single state encompassing Syria,Iraq and Lebanon and possibly other parts of the Levant. Imagine it being secular and progressive.Imagine Ba'athism,minus the insanity.
11863277_1634665190125561_1367588327623760806_n.jpg

number 2 I don't trust the Kurd's. even if we have autonomy in "Kurdistan" our leader will be some Kurdish loving guy implemented by Barzani.

I think 1 or 2 sound reasonable and possible. 3 is too ambitious  :giggle:
Or maybe something like Great Britain  (Scotland, Wales and England) -> (Shia-stan, Kurdistan and Assyria) - then Assyria can split from the rest just like Scotland wanted to.

Googoo said:
Or maybe something like Great Britain  (Scotland, Wales and England) -> (Shia-stan, Kurdistan and Assyria) - then Assyria can split from the rest just like Scotland wanted to.
lol good idea

Googoo said:

Only way for that to really happen is if we had a single unified language (or at least writing system)

I doubt Kurds and Shi'a Arabs would want to learn Aramaic, MAYBE the Shi'a if we can successfully replace Arabic with it but definitely not Kurds...

Googoo said:
What about Sunnis?

Etain said:
It's stupid to suggest all Sunnis are ISIS supporters.

Etain, I'll be the civil one here and say you're right to say that not all Sunnis are ISIS supporters BUT...

If you read about every single persecution that happened to Assyrians, it was all under Sunni Muslim leadership or rule...

Here are a few notable examples.

Assyrian genocide -> perpetrated by Sunni Muslim Turks who enticed Sunni Muslim Kurds to help them with the promise of loot and money.

Invasion of Timur -> Timur's invasion of Northern Mesopotamia is the sole reason why we are a minority in our very own homeland. Timur himself was a Sunni Muslim.

Our modern persecution by ISIS whom are also Sunni Muslims of course...

Our persecution and discrimination by the Baathist parties in both Syria and Iraq. Iraq's baathist party was majority Sunni Muslim with Syria's exception of a Shi'a Muslim despite Iraq's baathist party discriminating against Assyrians alot worse than Syria's...

The fact that the only Middle Eastern country with a large size of non-Muslims that is under Muslim rule is Iran which is Shi'a Majority.

The Shi'a majority were even nice enough to allow Assyrians and JEWS to vote for someone to represent them in their parliament. What Sunni Muslim country do you think would do that?

How about a non-Assyrian example using Pakistan which is majority Sunni Muslim with Shi'as, Christians, and Ahmadis being persecuted?

The only time Sunni Muslims are truly peaceful is when they have no political/military power whatsoever...

mrzurnaci said:
Etain, I'll be the civil one here and say you're right to say that not all Sunnis are ISIS supporters BUT...

If you read about every single persecution that happened to Assyrians, it was all under Sunni Muslim leadership or rule...

Assyrian genocide -> perpetrated by Sunni Muslim Turks who enticed Sunni Muslim Kurds to help them with the promise of loot and money.

Invasion of Timur -> Timur's invasion of Northern Mesopotamia is the sole reason why we are a minority in our very own homeland. Timur himself was a Sunni Muslim.

Our persecution and discrimination by the Baathist parties in both Syria and Iraq. Iraq's baathist party was majority Sunni Muslim with Syria's exception of a Shi'a Muslim despite Iraq's baathist party discriminating against Assyrians alot worse than Syria's...

The fact that the only Middle Eastern country with a large size of non-Muslims that is under Muslim rule is Iran which is Shi'a Majority.

The Shi'a majority were even nice enough to allow Assyrians and JEWS to vote for someone to represent them in their parliament. What Sunni Muslim country do you think would do that?

How about a non-Assyrian example using Pakistan which is majority Sunni Muslim with Shi'as, Christians, and Ahmadis being persecuted?

The only time Sunni Muslims are truly peaceful is when they have no political/military power whatsoever...
I don't like Sunnis. I understand the Gulf Sunni powers are pretty much evil,but it is unfair to equate them all as such.
To my knowledge, the Sunnis in Saddam's power circle in Iraq were much more moderate and more concerned with power than religion.

mrzurnaci said:

I think Sunnis cause the most trouble because they're the majority within that region. However, both of sects (Sunnis and Shias) are guilty of persecution against the other muslim sect. For instance, the Iranian sunnis (Mainly laristanis), baluchis (sunnis) and non-muslims (bahais) have faced major persecution by Iran since 1979 but, it's not given enough publicity because Iran is NOT vocal like Stupid Saudi. Most of the above have moved to the gulf region mainly Oman,UAE, Kuwait and Bahrain to escape persecution. Not to mention, that Hezoballah army (Shia army) is split from the lebanese army (The country's army - druze,christians and sunnis) because they're allied with Iran and wish to serve Iran (As quoted by my Lebanese maronite best friend), in other words, when chaos happens that army will only serve the shias.

Anyhow, Saudi began spreading it's cancerous Wahhabism to the Sunnis in every neighbouring gulf country vocally whilst Iran spreads its extremist Shi'ism behind the doors. We're probably going to experience WW3 soon, but, I hope they're sensible enough to realise it will cause a large economic loss.

I, being an Ibadi, I'm scared from both sides (especially nowadays, we never used to have problems back in 2010 before the arab spring) and I prefer not to engage with any politically. However, from my personal experience and my grandparents', Sunnis were much nicer but then again it's OUR experience and your experience was different. For instance, my grandfather worked in Bahrain and Kuwait because they were prosperous back then and had education as well as job opporutnities. The shias made it clear that the jobs are to only be occupied in this order/priority: 1) Bahrani (Without an i - The shia population of Bahrain) 2) Bahraini (The sunni population) 3) Gulf with the exception of Omani Ibadis...so they really weren't nice either.  Also, the first church to be built in the UAE for the non-native christians was approved by the Sunnis in the late 50s or 60s while the Shias heavily opposed it (scholars and shias in Sharjah) and kept causing tensions until above late 80s. They then got over it and accepted it. I honestly believe the sects and who's better would be dependent on each country for instance, I would pick sunnis in Bahrain, shias in Iraq, sunnis in Lebanon, shias in Syria. As for your example about Iran being the muslim majority and being nice to non muslims, that's invalid. The gulf countries do not have a non muslim population (unless they're non-native living in the UAE or bahais pre-1971 hence they have their nationality), if anything, a fair comparison inclusive of M.E christians being treated well, would be between Jordan and Iran (Sunni Arab and Shia with native non muslims).

In conclusion, there will ALWAYS be an oppressed minority whether we like it or not, be it: Verbal (bullying or racism) or physical abuse EVERYWHERE IN THE WORLD (we can't see or know about everything in this world). Ok, I hate politics so enough, but, we just have to solve things with a strong will, dignity and ears open to listen to all sides. Trust me, we did not have it easy for us (us Northern emiratis).. I could talk about murder pre-1971, but, bun that since everyone has blood on their hands in the M.E :) and we're living happily right now or, at least before WW3 starts  :giggle:

mrzurnaci said:
Only way for that to really happen is if we had a single unified language (or at least writing system)

I doubt Kurds and Shi'a Arabs would want to learn Aramaic, MAYBE the Shi'a if we can successfully replace Arabic with it but definitely not Kurds...

Hmm, use English as your language of communication? It's THE international language. (That's what India does, a lot of killing and protests occurred between the people because they argued that Hindi shouldn't be the main language and they eventually came up with this solution, actually, the solution came up by itself when all of them learnt english and communicated with one another). Yeah, middle easterners are stubborn so the shias and kurds won't learn aramaic and the same applies to you guys.

For GB, Welsh use Welsh in Wales and it's even considered an IGCSE subject in the recognised English examination certificate (Grade 10 to 11) yet they use English to communicate with one another.

Etain said:
What about Sunnis?

Problem is with Sunnis is they're all over Iraq rather than being concentrated in one region however, alot are in the Nineveh area. So, they have all 3 options to live under.  :)

ins001 said:
What do you mean?

Mzurnaci said that if Iraq is to be similar to GB then you need a unified language. He said that shias might be willing to learn aramaic as the unified language but, kurds not so much. Therefore, I replied back that Middle easterners are stubborn no one is going to agree to learning aramaic,arabic or kurdish (not their language) as the unified language..so the best solution would be english.  :)

Googoo said:
Mzurnaci said that if Iraq is to be similar to GB then you need a unified language. He said that shias might be willing to learn aramaic as the unified language but, kurds not so much. Therefore, I replied back that Middle easterners are stubborn no one is going to agree to learning aramaic,arabic or kurdish (not their language) as the unified language..so the best solution would be english.  :)

Not even with an Aramaic-version Qur'an? :)

Syriac-Aramaic is older than Arabic, it's very easy (assuming you have professionals) to translate all of Islam into Syriac.

Googoo said:
Thank you for the clarification, but what did you mean by "Middle Easterners are stubborn...and the same applies to you"?
That we don't want to learn Aramaic or Arabic?

mrzurnaci said:
Not even with an Aramaic-version Qur'an? :)

Syriac-Aramaic is older than Arabic, it's very easy (assuming you have professionals) to translate all of Islam into Syriac.

Well, you could suggest that to them and see however, kurds definitely won't agree on speaking Syriac.

ins001 said:
Thank you for the clarification, but what did you mean by "Middle Easterners are stubborn...and the same applies to you"?
That we don't want to learn Aramaic or Arabic?

Meaning that if say aramaic is chosen to be the unified language, kurds and arabs will object to that. If arabic is chosen to be the unified language, assyrians and kurds will object to that. If kurdish is chosen to be the unified language, arabs and assyrians will object to that. So, all three are stubborn, however, I think they will agree on using English as a unified language. (NOTE: This is when we're talking about an Iraq of 3 autonomies rather than a Baathist Iraq or a Secatarian Iraq).

Back