AVN Word of the Day

Status
Not open for further replies.
Y

Younan

Shlama akhonwati o khatwati/shlomo ahunwathi o hathwathi,

Over the last few years, it has slowly occured to me, how weak my assyrian is, especially in terms of vocabulary. Therefore i bought an assyrian-english dictionary, and i try to consciously speak assyrian as often as i can, although i won't deny i often become lazy and revert to english.

My idea is to have a "word(s) of the day", where each day, myself or any of you, could put up an assyrian word (western or eastern assyrian, also words for different milateh, like tyari would help us understand each other better!) and put the translation of the word in english.

Hopefully ideas like this are a more interesting way of improving vocabulary, than staring into a dictionary which ive tried and struggled with.

By the way, the words dont have to be super-technical, they can be really basic words. We have people on AVN with all sorts of range of vocabulary, so anything will be appreciated.

Also any other ways of expanding on my ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Becuase this is my first post, i will post 3 Word's of the day:

1. Difficult = asqa? ? ? ? ? ? ?e.g: "ay'ya eela asqa" = ay'ya [this] eela [is] asqa [difficult] = this is difficult

2. Problem = asqoota? ? ? ?e.g: "itlee kha asqoota":? itlee [i have] kha [a] asqoota [problem] = i have a problem

3. Tired = k'cheekha/shoorsheeya (in urmia accent) e.g 1: "eewin k'cheekha": eewin [i am] k'cheekha [tired] = i am tired

e.g 2: "eela shoorsheeta": eela [she is] shoorsheeta [tired] = she is tired

Khaya atour gabarta? :bigarmhug:

Please note: As i mentioned below, we will be demonstrating more sentences and how to use words, in the east meets west thread. this thread will focus more on single words. but the posts might be amalgamated as one thread. thanks.

Younan said:
guys i was thinking, it wud help, wen listing words, to put them in a small sentence so everyone knows how their used! check out my example above!

also im thinking of introducing spelling tests. ill list 5 random words, and anyone can chip in with answers as to what they mean in english, or vice versa: english words listed, and ppl have to give the answers in assyrian! once the 5 answers are revealed, that should hopefully be another 5 words added to your vocabulary, and daily speaking of assyrian.? :)

also, Eanna, and others that speak western assyrian, or other assyrian accents (tyari, urmi, caldean accents etc), feel free to give the alternative meanings to each word we list!!

:)

Yes please, great idea.. Younan Younan Younan :clap: :clap: :clap:

Uffht younan you had to open a new topic why didn't you just put it in the East meet West and no I am not going to sticky it!!!!!
If you guys want this topic to remain in the front page ... Just post every day and it will stay here? :razz:

I remember Younan telling me to post the East meet West topic and he promised he would post in it a lot well we saw how that ended... Everybody posted except younan? :beee:  So I am not falling for this again ....If you guys are really that motivated to learn and participate in it you guys will keep it in the front page by posting every day... and if it's again only talk but no action it will show  :beee: :beee:

Here are my words for today ( I ll try to stick to the ktobonoyo as much as possible)

Right: Yameeno
Left :  Saymolo

My word of the day, inspired by Phiro, is "khecha" (Eastern) or "ushmo" (Western), which means, "a little bit."

Example sentence: "Ana doon khecha raweta." Hahahaha, meaning, "I am a bit drunk."

:drunk:

shamirum said:
My word of the day, inspired by Phiro, is "khecha" (Eastern) or "ushmo" (Western), which means, "a little bit."

Example sentence: "Ana doon khecha raweta." Hahahaha, meaning, "I am a bit drunk."

:drunk:

What a excellent example :giggle:

I just remembered this song: "Hoylawando Hoylawando, leshtipe shitrawaya, leshtipe shitrawaya" :wavetowel: :wavetowel: :wavetowel:

Yes Younan good work and don?t worked to creat your Dialectbook for la?zah Tyaraya!

Basha, Kthasha u Sasha!!!  :giggle:

Rumtaya said:
Yes Younan good work and don?t worked to creat your Dialectbook for la?zah Tyaraya!

Basha, Kthasha u Sasha!!! :giggle:

Moode la?zat  :ban: let?s all start learing the ktobonoyo/supraya

And please translate basha kthasha u shasha

eanna said:
Uffht younan you had to open a new topic why didn't you just put it in the East meet West and no I am not going to sticky it!!!!!
If you guys want this topic to remain in the front page ... Just post every day and it will stay here? :razz:

I remember Younan telling me to post the East meet West topic and he promised he would post in it a lot well we saw how that ended... Everybody posted except younan? :beee:? So I am not falling for this again ....If you guys are really that motivated to learn and participate in it you guys will keep it in the front page by posting every day... and if it's again only talk but no action it will show? :beee: :beee:

Here are my words for today ( I ll try to stick to the ktobonoyo as much as possible)

Right: Yameeno
Left :? Saymolo

Right=Yameena
Left=Semala

Same words in eastern Assyrian  :thumbsup:

Younan said:
LOL. just for u rumtaya!? :mrgreen:

bne rumta (tyari dialect):

bala khasha l medrsa u shaya l basha, plata khake u dyara l basha, tawa l computer u khasha dmakha

=bala khasha l medrasa o thaya l batha, plata khecha o dyara l batha, tawa l computer u khasha dmakha

=well going to school and coming home, going out a little and returning home, sitting on computer and going to sleep.

:giggle:

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

shamirum said:
Modern "common" dialect (city dwellers of Iraq):

Right = yemneh
Left = chupleh

I'm gonna start speaking mixed Assyrian/Syriac with also some Norwegian and Arabic and English :ban:

Younan said:
ah! well spotted. yes your right!! [someone sure knows their warfare! are u sure ur not an undercover tyaraya? ?:mrgreen:]

Cannon = top

Bullet = goula d'top

for bullet we say "POOSHANGA"

LOL, sheedenta Donya!

Well, my family is from Tyareh (back like one hundred years ago or more), but they don't speak with what any Tyareh accent because they lived in the cities of Iraq for too long and most of them were born there.

Also, the Tyareh accent Younan keeps mentioning is Tyareh "leta," which is a different region than where my family is from, which is Tyareh "khteta."

Heee, it's a long story. But to make it short: I speak with what's called the "modern" dialect that most Assyrians in Baghdad spoke, and many different tribes/villages speak it.

I don't say the "th" like that, it's all "t," as well, I don't use "sh" for those words he said, I use, again, "t," and there are many other differences.

shamirum said:
Modern "common" dialect (city dwellers of Iraq):

Right = yemneh
Left = chupleh

we use the same!

And please translate basha kthasha u shasha

Basha= House, Kthasha= Chicken and Sasha= oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back