Assyrians with American accent

Cascade

Many American Assyrians seem like they try hard speaking American but fail? I've heard Assyrians in Australia and UK talk, they don't desperately try to sound like the natives. They sound natural and don't overdo it.

It seems like Assyrian Americans try hard to sound American, but they end up sounding funny. Americans are not hard on the 'I' - "sit" may sound like "set" to some ears. Assyrian Americans uncannily overdo 'sit' where it sounds like 'sat' ("NINA! please sat"). Their 'is' sounds like 'ass' ("yes, it 'ass'). Is it some sort of a distinctive Assyrian-American accent? It's so annoying....

Sounds like you're describing the Inland Northern American English accent, typical of people from, say, Chicago (which has a relatively high population of Assyrians). Other than that, there's nothing "wrong" with sounding like a native of whatever region you're from, so your gripe is unwarranted. It would be extremely unusual if you spent all or most of your life in Chicago and still spoke English with anything but a pure Chicago accent. :)

Carlo said:
Sounds like you're describing the Inland Northern American English accent, typical of people from, say, Chicago (which has a relatively high population of Assyrians). Other than that, there's nothing "wrong" with sounding like a native of whatever region you're from, so your gripe is unwarranted. It would be extremely unusual if you spent all or most of your life in Chicago and still spoke English with anything but a pure Chicago accent. :)
Very well said Carlo. Totally true.

AssyrianPrince21 said:
It's not a conscious thing ... It's not like we can force ourselves to stop using an accent. Kinda stupid.  :beee:
So I take it you speak that way?

Ass thas chru?  :giggle:

Hey Carlo. Not sure why I didn't respond to this. But I will now after 5 years Lol. I guess other people can see the reply even if you don't... 😄

No. The thing is, Inland Northern Americans don't speak like that. They pronounce their vowels "properly". It's just the Assyrians living there. You know that Assyrian nationalist Nahren Awiya? She says "them" like "thahm". I honestly have never heard any Chicagoan speak like that. It must be an Assyrian Midwestern accent (and they should make that term Lmao).

Back