Assyrians in Brazil!

mari

Arameans from São Paulo

I have a few Portuguese speaking friends so when I have the chance I'm going to get one of them to translate this video for me, looks so cool though! I've heard from family that some of my family migrated to Brazil around the time of the genocide, we've never heard from them because obviously contact was lost. Perhaps one of my relatives is in that video!

As far as I know most of them are Syriac Orthodox Assyrians. And most of them lost their identity or/and became mixed.
I know someone who traveled to Brazil to visit our community there. When he found some of them he realized that nobody was able to speak with him in Assyrian.
They brought him to their church and there were only a few who can speak with him in Assyrian.
That?s very sad what the genocide and all the other persecutions did and still do with our people :(

John_86 said:
As far as I know most of them are Syriac Orthodox Assyrians. And most of them lost their identity or/and became mixed.
I know someone who traveled to Brazil to visit our community there. When he found some of them he realized that nobody was able to speak with him in Assyrian.
They brought him to their church and there were only a few who can speak with him in Assyrian.

That?s very sad what the genocide and all the other persecutions did and still do with our people :(
I keep telling everyone this and I can't stress it enough. Marry your own kind Assyrians, Marry your own kind or be gone forever and forgotten. It's as simple as freakin' that.

that is sad :(
I agree mrzurnaci I used to think that I wouldn't wana marry an Assyrian but now I really would like to if it happens...

mari said:
that is sad :(
I agree mrzurnaci I used to think that I wouldn't wana marry an Assyrian but now I really would like to if it happens...

Well there's a bunch of us Assyrian guys right here  :giggle:

mari said:
LOL  :blush2:
Alot of Assyrians (mostly girls) marry non-Assyrians for two reasons, 1. multi-cultural countries that usually promote inter-racial relationships and marriage, and 2. There's ALOT more Assyrians than Assyrian guys for some reason, in my family, my mom gave birth to 3 girls and only 2 boys (including me) I got lucky. And my cousin Michael and his family has 3 girls only, no guys.

I think it depends on where you live too... and if there are many Assyrians that live there, if you mix etc.

mrzurnaci said:
I keep telling everyone this and I can't stress it enough. Marry your own kind Assyrians, Marry your own kind or be gone forever and forgotten. It's as simple as freakin' that.

you are not the only one, I have been talking to my reletives all the times, quess, what, she will marry a Swedish guy, can you amgine? a swedish guy, I dont mean to humalate swedish people, but we are two differents nation, sure we are christians but Swedish people dont care about chirsitanity anymore...

I know a Chaldean girl, she maried a kurdish guy, can you amagine....what it will be like to be married a muslim...

khayaatour said:
I know a Chaldean girl, she maried a kurdish guy, can you amagine....what it will be like to be married a muslim...
you should know that, didin't you support the kurdish?...

the_dave said:
you should know that, didin't you support the kurdish?...

I never support kurdish, iam saying if we compare to Iraq and Kurds, we today get more help from Kurds than from arabs...and you see today, what iraiq arabs had done to our church in Bagdad....such thing doesnt occur in kurdish area to our umta...

and what has this to do with me helping kurdish, a Chaldean girl married a kurdish guy, cause she was inlove with him..

One of my friends is from Brazil. We had a discussion of our roots and I found out that her grandmother was an Assyrian, but that she had let go of her culture and heritage when she married her Brazilian man.

Assyrian_Man said:
One of my friends is from Brazil. We had a discussion of our roots and I found out that her grandmother was an Assyrian, but that she had let go of her culture and heritage when she married her Brazilian man.
an Assyrian without his/her culture, language; is nothing.

Interesting you posted this. I remember my uncle telling me a story about Brazilians a long time ago. Sometime in the 60s or 70s, the Iraqi soccer team was playing against the Brazilians in a match that was set in Syria. Since my uncle is from Syria, him and his buddies went to the match and were shouting things like, "shmoot aqloo" and all that for the Assyrian players on the Iraq team to do to this Brazilian guy that looked almost choomaya. At the end of the match, since my uncle and his buddies had been so loud throughout the match, the almost choomaya-looking Brazilian guy came up to them and asked them what language they were speaking. When they said, "Assyrian" he immediately responded that he was Assyrian and had picked up on some of the sawiryateh they were throwing at him because he remembered some words his dad used to use. They felt ashamed, but he reassured them that it was okay because at least he got to know other Assyrians... he didn't know there were very many in Syria. My uncle said the soccer team was going to stay there for a few days after the match, so my uncle and his buddies went to get some waraqa from Syria to be able to makhdeeree qa the Brazilian guy all over Syria and they showed him like Khaboor and all of that.

Totally reminded me of this.

I have a relative he was living in switzerland. He is also living now in Brazil and he is married with a black woman and his children cant speak assyrian. Its to sad whats happen with us assyrians.

ashuraya007 said:
I have a relative he was living in switzerland. He is also living now in Brazil and he is married with a black woman and his children cant speak assyrian. Its to sad whats happen with us assyrians.
it's cause the retarded Assyrians don't know what the hell is going on

This topic of the possibilty of Assyrians in Brazil is very exciting for me. i am an Assyrian, born in New Zealand. But i probably know my language and history more than the people in iraq itself. I am proud of it. My partner is full Brazilian (her dad is portugese and her mother is Amazonian Brazilian). we have been together for 5 years now. We are going to Brazil in April 2011, (1 month away). I am going to do my best to locate and meet up with any remaining remanants of Assyrians still in existence in Brazil. My partner is from Sao Paulo, so We will be there for 1 month. I cant wait to go! and am absolutely fascinated to go in search of Assyrians. My partner loves my family and my culture she wants to learn Assyrian. she states that she noticed alot of middle easterners in Brazil (mostly lebanese) but she informed me they are all pretty much brazilian. they only speak portugese and dont follow their own faith.She says they had muslims who go to catholic church pray to Mary and have crosses etc. As for Assyrians, she says im the forst one she has ever meet. she thinks there maybe assyrians in Brazil but unlike australia and New Zealand, they would have melted into the populace taking on a Brazilian identity. My theory is : the more distinct and different the host communities ethnics go to, the more chances they will keep up their language and culture out of feeling excluded and foreign. In English speaking contries, Assyrianims is a total opposite in extreme polarity to Western ideals, hence kids maintain language more but sometimes at the expense of creating culture gangs (less education and less assimilation) as we find in Chicago and sydney. A place like brazil for example, the culture is farr moree similar to Assryian culture (family ties, religion, temprament, simpleness) making it easier for young Assyrians to assimilate and accept the host community as they dont feel excluded. So in a way we have to be more cautious when we arrive to similar cultured countries as we are more likely to relax and let our guards down in terms of ensuring our culture is passed down. Facts show that there are at least 1milion arabs in Brazil, but apparently in Brazil they are the rich and wealthy, having prospered in all fields. Unlike in sydney and london you never hear of middle east riots, suicid bombs, ganags and middle easterners general making bad press..maybe because in brazil our culture is more similar and easier to accept than say in anglo-saxon english speaking countires.what do people think? god bles ya all.

Back