Assyrian Voice was born on this day, 22 years ago!

ASHOOR

Administrator
Staff member
Assyrian Voice is 22 years old.jpg

On this day (April 15) in 1999, Assyrian Voice was started and 22 years later, we are still here!

In fact, we are only one of few Assyrian websites that have survived and remained online for this long. As a matter of fact, there is a tiny fraction of Assyrian websites that started and are still operational from the last century. We are proud and honoured to be on that exclusive and tiny list .

As I mentioned and as many of you already know, this website has been around for so long that the new generation may not be able to relate to so easily! To put it into prospective, when the website was launched, Saddam Hussein and Bill Clinton were still presidents, Backstreet Boys was the most popular band, Rivaldo was the best soccer player in the world, Kobe Bryant was an unknown young rookie, Wayne Gretsky was still playing hockey, Facebook and YouTube were years away from being born, Google was still being operated from a house garage, Lycos was the hottest search engine and most importantly, we didn't know what the world would look like , or whether it would survive beyond the year 2000! (Remember Y2K?) - read some more crazy facts from the year Assyrian Voice was launched: No 2 and 11 will shock you!

Of course, it hasn’t been an easy journal getting here, as we have had to navigate through many challenges, including our forums being out of commission for almost 2 years , different hacking attempts, technology changes and so much more.

We recognise that Assyrians have migrated in masses from visiting Assyrian websites to spending most of their time on social media. But the fact remains: Assyrian websites offer something unique and a different prospective than what you would find on FB and other social platforms, despite the latter’s superior technology.

-For anyone interested, you can read more about how we started and an interesting timeline of events ever since:

-And here is our interview with AssyrianPodcast.com from Sep 2020 where we share more details about how Assyrian Voice started and our journey since:

And last but not least, we are proud and honored to say that most of you reading this, if not your kids or parents, have likely visited Assyrian Voice at one point in the past.

Thank you to all the millions who have visited this website the last 22 years: without you, we would have barely survived for a few years, let alone decades! Despite all the distractions of social media, we appreciate you making time to visit and support us!

View attachment 13101

On this day (April 15) in 1999, Assyrian Voice was started and 22 years later, we are still here!

In fact, we are only one of few Assyrian websites that have survived and remained online for this long. As a matter of fact, there is a tiny fraction of Assyrian websites that started and are still operational from the last century. We are proud and honoured to be on that exclusive and tiny list .

As I mentioned and as many of you already know, this website has been around for so long that the new generation may not be able to relate to so easily! To put it into prospective, when the website was launched, Saddam Hussein and Bill Clinton were still presidents, Backstreet Boys was the most popular band, Rivaldo was the best soccer player in the world, Kobe Bryant was an unknown young rookie, Wayne Gretsky was still playing hockey, Facebook and YouTube were years away from being born, Google was still being operated from a house garage, Lycos was the hottest search engine and most importantly, we didn't know what the world would look like , or whether it would survive beyond the year 2000! (Remember Y2K?) - read some more crazy facts from the year Assyrian Voice was launched: No 2 and 11 will shock you!

Of course, it hasn’t been an easy journal getting here, as we have had to navigate through many challenges, including our forums being out of commission for almost 2 years , different hacking attempts, technology changes and so much more.

We recognise that Assyrians have migrated in masses from visiting Assyrian websites to spending most of their time on social media. But the fact remains: Assyrian websites offer something unique and a different prospective than what you would find on FB and other social platforms, despite the latter’s superior technology.

-For anyone interested, you can read more about how we started and an interesting timeline of events ever since:

-And here is our interview with AssyrianPodcast.com from Sep 2020 where we share more details about how Assyrian Voice started and our journey since:

And last but not least, we are proud and honored to say that most of you reading this, if not your kids or parents, have likely visited Assyrian Voice at one point in the past.

Thank you to all the millions who have visited this website the last 22 years: without you, we would have barely survived for a few years, let alone decades! Despite all the distractions of social media, we appreciate you making time to visit and support us!
🍻🍻🍻🍻🍻 Here's to another 22 years.

Wow. April 15 1999. Great memories. Just a week before we arrive to Australia. I didn't even know the internet existed back then, let alone online forums. I thought the whole internet forum thing began in 2004.

Wow. April 15 1999. Great memories. Just a week before we arrive to Australia. I didn't even know the internet existed back then, let alone online forums. I thought the whole internet forum thing began in 2004.

so I first used the internet in the sprig of 1997, basically few weeks after we arrived in Canada. And I officially got my own computer and started using internet from home on Sep 15, 1998. Then about 6 months later, Assyrian Voice was born.

BTW, I have kept that original PC (Compaq Presario) that I used to create Assyrian Voice , till this day. It is probably not even bootable but it is like an artifact from the past and wouldn’t want to throw it, given that it was my first computer ever, and the computer that I used to build Assyrian Voice.

Back