• Our popular and beloved forums are finally back, after being down since April 2018 due to hosting and server issues. We have now switched to a better platform, while maintenaing all data as it was before (contents and user names) . Thank you for your patience and loyalty. If you have any questions, need to report an error, or are having trouble logging in, please email us at: assyrianvoice@rogers.com

Assyrian tattoo translation please! :)

james999

Hey everyone im getting a tattoo and i was wondering if you guys could help me translate the following verse in Assyrian - estrangele font i think thats what its called

Isaiah 19:25 Assyria the work of my hands

Thanks in advance

Zawoyo

How do You say that in Your dialect, "Ashur pulkhana d idati" ?
Tell me and I can write it in estrangelo.

james999

John_86 said:
How do You say that in Your dialect, "Ashur pulkhana d idati" ?
Tell me and I can write it in estrangelo.

"Atur pulkhana d idati"

I think that sounds about right?, but please translate Atur instead of Ashur since id rather have Assyria written in Aramaic :) thanks khona

Lovemoon

There u go :) and sorry that has to be Atur just like how it is writing in Bible  :razz:

I typed it in different style so u can choose whichever u like the most.

Attachments

• avn1.jpg
    avn1.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 5,659

Carlo

Lovemoon said:
That is not estrangelo.

It is if your settings are set to an Estrangela font, but you're right: not everyone will see it as Estrangela. It's much better to have it as an image.

Anyway, does anyone have a classical Syriac Old Testament with the actual line from Isaiah (rather than guessing based on new dialects)?

james999

Lovemoon said:
There u go :) and sorry that has to be Atur just like how it is writing in Bible  :razz:

I typed it in different style so u can choose whichever u like the most.

Hey thanks alot, but isnt Assyrian written right to left?

So wouldnt the word "Atur" have to be on the right side not on the left?

Lovemoon

Carlo said:
It is if your settings are set to an Estrangela font, but you're right: not everyone will see it as Estrangela. It's much better to have it as an image.

Anyway, does anyone have a classical Syriac Old Testament with the actual line from Isaiah (rather than guessing based on new dialects)?
I wasn't guessing, that's how it was writing in the Bible.

James, yah from right to left. whatever I typed was exactly what we have in the Bible.

Carlo

Lovemoon said:
I wasn't guessing, that's how it was writing in the Bible.

James, yah from right to left. whatever I typed was exactly what we have in the Bible.

Modern Bible, sure. But classical Bible? :)

Lovemoon

jonadona said:
You sent your mom to Iraq for this?  Jeez.
lol Actually she and dad went together hadya prkhlon in 20 min lol, I didn't want them to go but they wanted to go so bad, their anniversary is on August and they wanted to celebrate their wedding anniversary there.

cynfromchi

would anyone be able to show me how to type shoopra in assyrian? correct me if i'm wrong but that is the literal translation of beauty? not beautiful but just beauty like the noun

Lovemoon

cynfromchi said:
would anyone be able to show me how to type shoopra in assyrian? correct me if i'm wrong but that is the literal translation of beauty? not beautiful but just beauty like the noun
here u go.

Attachments

• avn.jpg
    avn.jpg
    2 KB · Views: 943

Carlo

Forever Assyrian said:
When I looked it up it said: ܘܥܒܕ ܐܝܕ̈ܝ ܕܒܐܬܘܪ

That looks/sounds very classical (just take out the first waw so it makes sense as a tattoo). What Bible are you using, FA?

ISay

Carlo said:
That looks/sounds very classical (just take out the first waw so it makes sense as a tattoo). What Bible are you using, FA?

You just reminded me of something.  I'm not sure if many people are aware of this or not but lulu.com/atourpub has a really inexpensive old testament version of the Bible.  Here is the link:  http://www.lulu.com/product/paperback/the-old-testament-part-iii-proverbs---malachi/3603532
It comes in three volumes.  The verse in question should be located in the third one if I'm not mistaken.  Each volume has two versions of the old testament actually.  One version is from the Syriac Pshi-Tta and the other one is a translation into modern East Assyrian directly via the Hebrew scriptures.