Assyrian: East meets West

John_86 said:
btw, and what means shetrani ?

Oh, OK.  Well, sheTraani means "my good-looking one (masc.)"
I still didn't hear "shuprani" though.  However, shappiir (shap-piir) means "good-looking" also.  You also have that word, pronounced a little differently, in your dialect, too, right?

ISay said:
Oh, OK.  Well, sheTraani means "my good-looking one (masc.)"
I still didn't hear "shuprani" though.  However, shappiir (shap-piir) means "good-looking" also.  You also have that word, pronounced a little differently, in your dialect, too, right?

Yes, we have the word shafir/shafiro. But I asked because of the ending -ani. I didn?t know this ending for the 'my-form'.

And what means shimakh tibube ?
Evin Agassi - Shmakh ايوان اغاسي - شماخ

ISay said:
Actually, the singer is saying "shemakh ktiwuwen" meaning "I have written your (fem.) name".

Isn´t it shimakh kthw-li/ktw-li ?
Or does it mean 'I am writing your name' because of the ending wen in ktiwuwen?

John_86 said:
Isn?t it shimakh kthw-li/ktw-li ?

No, because he is not saying "I wrote your name".  "Wrote" and "Have written" have a slightly different meaning.  I don't want to get too technical in grammar but "Wrote" here is known as the Simple Preterite and "Have written" is known as the Present Perfect.

John_86 said:
Or does it mean 'I am writing your name' because of the ending wen in ktiwuwen?

In that case it would be "kta-we-wen",  a slight change in the vowels.  An alternative to this word would be to just say "ktawen".  I don't see a discernable difference in meaning between the two.

John_86 said:
What means talakh ya moghibta, shwiqali ?

And how do You say 'long time ago.' We say me zawno.

I believe "qatakh ya mokhibta, shwiqali" means "For you my dear, I left (elakh ya habibto, treli)".

Common speech -

'I have not heard from you for a long time'  - Aneh Kma Len Shimya Minokh ..... literally - This how much i haven't heard from you 
'I did not here from you for a long time' - Kma La Shme-li minokh .... literally - How much i didn't hear from you

So You don´t use 'long time' in this phrase?

Btw, how do You say 'do not be ashamed' ? We say lo minakfat (Shame - nekfutho).

John_86 said:
What do You say to something like 'You will not regret it' ?
We say le ghowat khaziro.

You mean "leg howat khaziro"?

In my accent we say "Lat-at khasoro" ܠܝܬ ܐܢܬ ܟܼܣܪܐ

Hanuni said:
You mean "leg howat khaziro"?

In my accent we say "Lat-at khasoro" ܠܝܬ ܐܢܬ ܟܼܣܪܐ

I think there is no difference how You say it :)
... because my phrase means 'You will not regret it' and Yours 'You are not regreted/regretful'
If I would say 'You are not regreted/regretful' in Assyrian I would say it like You.

I want to ask for the next phraze, but I don´t know how to say it in English :S
I wanna try it in Assyrian: yaqid lebi a´la
(which means literally 'my heart burns because of her').
I say that if something bad happens to somebody and I have compassion for this person, than I say that.

Do You know what I mean?

John_86 said:
I want to ask for the next phraze, but I don?t know how to say it in English :S
I wanna try it in Assyrian: yaqid lebi a?la
I say that if something bad happens to somebody and I have compassion for this person, than I say that.

Do You know what I mean?

And what means 'same' ? We say in the common speech ?aini but that?s not Assyrian. It?s mulso in Assyrian.

What means 'I drive' and 'he/she drives' ?
We say '(ko-)qola?no' and hie '(ko-)qole? / hia (ko-)ql?o'.

Okay, time passed away and it seems so that nobody saw my questions, so I want to repeat it and get Your awareness by pushing this topic:

- I want to ask for the next phraze, but I don´t know how to say it in English :S
I wanna try it in Assyrian: yaqidh lebi a´la
I say that if something bad happens to somebody and I have compassion for this person.

Do You know what I mean?

- And what means 'same' ? We say in the common speech ´aini but that´s not Assyrian. It´s mulso in Assyrian.

We say ono '(ko-)qola´no' and hie '(ko-)qole´ / hia (ko-)ql´o'.

John_86 said:
Okay, time passed away and it seems so that nobody saw my questions, so I want to repeat it and get Your awareness by pushing this topic:

- I want to ask for the next phraze, but I don?t know how to say it in English :S
I wanna try it in Assyrian: yaqidh lebi a?la
I say that if something bad happens to somebody and I have compassion for this person.

Do You know what I mean?

I know exactly what you mean.  We have that exact expression in East Assyrian.  There are a few different ways of saying it depending  on the tense you choose.  For example, you can say:  maa-quu-dhe-lah leb-bi or you can say muu-qedh-lah lebbi .

John_86 said:
- And what means 'same' ? We say in the common speech ?aini but that?s not Assyrian. It?s mulso in Assyrian.

o mendileh   literally meaning, "it's the same thing".

John_86 said:
We say ono '(ko-)qola?no' and hie '(ko-)qole? / hia (ko-)ql?o'.

As in "drive" a car?

ISay said:
I know exactly what you mean.  We have that exact expression in East Assyrian.  There are a few different ways of saying it depending  on the tense you choose.  For example, you can say:  maa-quu-dhe-lah leb-bi or you can say muu-qedh-lah lebbi .

"muu-qedh-lah lebbi" is equivalent to "maw-qadh-lah lebi" in the western dialect :)

Back