• Our popular and beloved forums are finally back, after being down since April 2018 due to hosting and server issues. We have now switched to a better platform, while maintenaing all data as it was before (contents and user names) . Thank you for your patience and loyalty. If you have any questions, need to report an error, or are having trouble logging in, please email us at: assyrianvoice@rogers.com

Assyrian: East meets West

Zawoyo

Is there a meaning-difference between "bdain" and "bdaya" ?
Could it be that the "b" or "bd" in front of the verb marks the -ing time ?

Carlo

Zawoyo said:
Is there a meaning-difference between "bdain" and "bdaya" ?
Could it be that the "b" or "bd" in front of the verb marks the -ing time ?
Bdhaya sounds like "knowing," while the -in in bdhay-in makes it sound like "I am knowing."

I don't think it's the b- that marks the "-ing" (since not all dialects have the b-), I think it's the general xxAxA pattern:

• xzAyA (ܚܙܵܝܵܐ) = "seeing"
  • 'mArA (ܐܡܵܪܵܐ) = "saying"
  • bshAlA (ܒܫܵܠܵܐ) = "cooking"
  • T`AmA (ܛܥܵܡܵܐ) = "tasting"

7ayruta

Zawoyo said:
But how would you use these words in a sentence in the -ing time ?
im used to say "hon bedhaya" but i think that formally it is "ewin bedhaya" .... wait for CARLO BOY :p

Carlo

• 7ayruta said:
    im used to say "hon bedhaya" but i think that formally it is "ewin bedhaya" .... wait for CARLO BOY :p
    Haha, I don't know anything about one being more formal than the other. In fact, I used to think "eewin" was past tense up until a month ago. :blink:
    • "I am seeing" = hon (be)xzaya or eewin bexzaya or (be)xzay-in
    • "I am saying" = hon (be)'mara or eewin be'mara or (be)'mar-in
    • "I am cooking" = hon (be?)bshala or eewin (be?)bshala or (be?)bshal-in (this is a little weird to say since it really means "I am being cooked" rather than "I am doing the cooking")
    • "I am tasting" = hon (be)T`ama or eewin beT`ama or (be)T`am-in

I think you can stick the personal suffix to the end of the first word in the clause:
    • tam-in (be)'zala ("I am going there")
    • tam-it (be)'zala ("you are going there")
    • qa-mo-t (be)'zala? ("why are you going?")

The "cooking" thing actually reminded me of something I forgot to mention: there are at least three other ways of saying "-ing" depending on what "conjugation" you use (though they all look similar):
    • a) mxaxoxe for mostly "intensive" verbs, transitive forms of originally intransitive verbs, verbs derived from nouns, and some foreign words that can fit into a three-letter root:
      • intensive: claya ("going down") -> mcaloye ("praying" [think of "going down" in the sense of "prostrating"])
      • transitive: bshala ("cooking [being cooked]") -> mbashole ("cooking [something]");
      • verb from noun: cawta ("voice," "speech") -> mcawothe ("speaking")
      • foreign words: mtamoze ("cleaning"), mparoke ("parking"), mcharoje ("charging")

• b) maxxoxe for causatives:
      • claya ("going down") -> macloye ("making go down," "bringing down")
      • xzaya ("seeing") -> maxzoye ("making see," "showing")

• c) xaxxoxe for words that have four root letters (xxxx) rather than the usual three (xxx), were the first root letter replaces the meem (can also have foreign words):
      • targome ("translating")
      • haymone ("believing")
      • hamzome ("speaking")
      • parmoye ("understanding," causative: maprome ["making understand," "explaining"])

xnicksomox

"hon" and "eewin" aren't informal or formal. Eewin is supposed to be correct, but some villages started using "hon" because it's shorter. Fir example "spy" is not supposed to be correct. "tawa" and "baseema" are the correct words, but sometimes languages evolve. It's supposed to be like this fir example: "ana eewin b'rkhasha al shooqa". Some say "hon b'rkhasha al shooqa". It's almost the same thing. I encourage people to say "eewin" and for the word good, you should say "tawa" mostly and "baseema" is also correct.

Zawoyo

Carlo said:

• Haha, I don't know anything about one being more formal than the other. In fact, I used to think "eewin" was past tense up until a month ago. :blink:
    • "I am seeing" = .... (be)xzay-in

• This would be, no this IS the directy translation of how we say that in western Assyrian: Hazoyo-no
    ( In the "hon" case (hon = holay?), we say: kaly Hazoyo )

And in past tense: Hazoyo-way-no (I was seeing)
    And in an other past tense: Hoze-way-no or Hozen-no-wa (I saw)

So it seems that the w marks the past tense, in both main dialects.

ASHOOR

Administrator
Staff member
Did you guys know this thread is one of the top 10 most viewed on Assyrian Voice Forums, with over 50,000 views.

Since it is that popular, it is time to revive it with new content.

Ashoor

I'm going through a phase right now, I want to learn suryoyo dialect... if someone has any recommendations!

https://twitter.com/AssyrianWord <--- I recommend to follow this guy. He posts words in suret and suryoyo and the akkadian word they came from. Shows how much Akkadian is in our language  :clap:

Kebabs?s

Assyrian_Man said:
I'm going through a phase right now, I want to learn suryoyo dialect... if someone has any recommendations!

https://twitter.com/AssyrianWord <--- I recommend to follow this guy. He posts words in suret and suryoyo and the akkadian word they came from. Shows how much Akkadian is in our language  :clap:
i want to learn to wright in east assyrian

babyloniad

Hello!

I was wondering if anyone could PLEASE help me translate the word ASSYRIA to assyrian (estrangelo version) and also if you could Babylonia, which is my name, it is for a tattoo. Thank you so much