• Our popular and beloved forums are finally back, after being down since April 2018 due to hosting and server issues. We have now switched to a better platform, while maintenaing all data as it was before (contents and user names) . Thank you for your patience and loyalty. If you have any questions, need to report an error, or are having trouble logging in, please email us at: assyrianvoice@rogers.com

Assyrian: East meets West

Hanuni

New member
John_86 said:
What means talakh ya moghibta, shwiqali ?

And how do You say 'long time ago.' We say me zawno.
I believe "qatakh ya mokhibta, shwiqali" means "For you my dear, I left (elakh ya habibto, treli)".
 

davidb

New member
Common speech -

'I have not heard from you for a long time'  - Aneh Kma Len Shimya Minokh ..... literally - This how much i haven't heard from you 
'I did not here from you for a long time' - Kma La Shme-li minokh .... literally - How much i didn't hear from you
 

Zawoyo

New member
So You don´t use 'long time' in this phrase?

Btw, how do You say 'do not be ashamed' ? We say lo minakfat (Shame - nekfutho).
 

Hanuni

New member
John_86 said:
What do You say to something like 'You will not regret it' ?
We say le ghowat khaziro.
You mean "leg howat khaziro"?

In my accent we say "Lat-at khasoro" ܠܝܬ ܐܢܬ ܟܼܣܪܐ
 

Zawoyo

New member
Hanuni said:
You mean "leg howat khaziro"?

In my accent we say "Lat-at khasoro" ܠܝܬ ܐܢܬ ܟܼܣܪܐ
I think there is no difference how You say it :)
... because my phrase means 'You will not regret it' and Yours 'You are not regreted/regretful'
If I would say 'You are not regreted/regretful' in Assyrian I would say it like You.
 

Zawoyo

New member
I want to ask for the next phraze, but I don´t know how to say it in English :S
I wanna try it in Assyrian: yaqid lebi a´la
(which means literally 'my heart burns because of her').
I say that if something bad happens to somebody and I have compassion for this person, than I say that.

Do You know what I mean?
 

Zawoyo

New member
John_86 said:
I want to ask for the next phraze, but I don?t know how to say it in English :S
I wanna try it in Assyrian: yaqid lebi a?la
(which means literally 'my heart burns because of her').
I say that if something bad happens to somebody and I have compassion for this person, than I say that.

Do You know what I mean?
And what means 'same' ? We say in the common speech ?aini but that?s not Assyrian. It?s mulso in Assyrian.

What means 'I drive' and 'he/she drives' ?
We say '(ko-)qola?no' and hie '(ko-)qole? / hia (ko-)ql?o'.
 

Zawoyo

New member
Okay, time passed away and it seems so that nobody saw my questions, so I want to repeat it and get Your awareness by pushing this topic:

- I want to ask for the next phraze, but I don´t know how to say it in English :S
I wanna try it in Assyrian: yaqidh lebi a´la
(which means literally 'my heart burns because of her').
I say that if something bad happens to somebody and I have compassion for this person.

Do You know what I mean?


- And what means 'same' ? We say in the common speech ´aini but that´s not Assyrian. It´s mulso in Assyrian.

What means 'I drive' and 'he/she drives' ?
We say ono '(ko-)qola´no' and hie '(ko-)qole´ / hia (ko-)ql´o'.
 

ISay

New member
John_86 said:
Okay, time passed away and it seems so that nobody saw my questions, so I want to repeat it and get Your awareness by pushing this topic:

- I want to ask for the next phraze, but I don?t know how to say it in English :S
I wanna try it in Assyrian: yaqidh lebi a?la
(which means literally 'my heart burns because of her').
I say that if something bad happens to somebody and I have compassion for this person.

Do You know what I mean?
I know exactly what you mean.  We have that exact expression in East Assyrian.  There are a few different ways of saying it depending  on the tense you choose.  For example, you can say:  maa-quu-dhe-lah leb-bi or you can say muu-qedh-lah lebbi .


John_86 said:
- And what means 'same' ? We say in the common speech ?aini but that?s not Assyrian. It?s mulso in Assyrian.
o mendileh   literally meaning, "it's the same thing".


John_86 said:
What means 'I drive' and 'he/she drives' ?
We say ono '(ko-)qola?no' and hie '(ko-)qole? / hia (ko-)ql?o'.
As in "drive" a car?
 

Hanuni

New member
ISay said:
I know exactly what you mean.  We have that exact expression in East Assyrian.  There are a few different ways of saying it depending  on the tense you choose.  For example, you can say:  maa-quu-dhe-lah leb-bi or you can say muu-qedh-lah lebbi .
"muu-qedh-lah lebbi" is equivalent to "maw-qadh-lah lebi" in the western dialect :)
 
Top