• Our popular and beloved forums are finally back, after being down since April 2018 due to hosting and server issues. We have now switched to a better platform, while maintenaing all data as it was before (contents and user names) . Thank you for your patience and loyalty. If you have any questions, need to report an error, or are having trouble logging in, please email us at: assyrianvoice@rogers.com

Assyrian Convention 2010 - Arizona

ninous26

This thread is full of errors.. A whole lot of misinterpreted people..

For starters.. The convention is not in Scottsdale, it is in Phoenix.. Two different cities. Biltmore is like 3 square miles of Phoenix thats just pretty much a neighborhood.

People are really funny with their exaggerated comments and replies.. You don't need a passport, just a valid ID card. So they can ----------> Identify you.. Thats what and ID is.

If you're not commiting a crime then you've got nothing to worry about.

Last, it is no where near as bad as people make it to be.. Typical Assyrian exaggeration going on lol. It really is nothing.. On top of all that, all the parts of the law that really make it "unfair" have been stopped.

assyrian girl

ninous26 said:

For starters.. The convention is not in Scottsdale, it is in Phoenix.. Two different cities. Biltmore is like 3 square miles of Phoenix thats just pretty much a neighborhood.

People are really funny with their exaggerated comments and replies.. You don't need a passport, just a valid ID card. So they can ----------> Identify you.. Thats what and ID is.

Last, it is no where near as bad as people make it to be.. Typical Assyrian exaggeration going on lol. It really is nothing.. On top of all that, all the parts of the law that really make it "unfair" have been stopped.

Bravo to your post!

jacob

ninous26 said:

I technically committed at least three crimes last week. Luckily I'm not Mexican and I don't live in Arizona. The "committing crimes" argument is bogus. Checked your tail lights lately?

ninous26

Dude, they don't ask you for immigration status over that crap..

When you get pulled over the cop asks for your license, registration, and insurance.. IF YOU DON'T HAVE A LICENSE, NO MATTER WHAT CITY, COUNTY, STATE, OR COUNTRY YOU WILL GET PULLED OUT OF YOUR CAR AND BE INVESTIGATED UPON!!

Sorry for the caps but I'm just hoping that gets the point across. I don't support the law in anyway. I love mexicans but its not as bad as CNN, and the people make it to be :)

IF a cop has a reason to believe you're illegal then he'll see whats up.. For instance if he pulls someone over for the tail lights and the guy in the car is all like?? Que pasa amigo? No habla engles. Then the cop will be like ok, something not right..
Same thing if they see someone staggering around at night all drunk with NO ID.. They have to by law find out who this person is.. Is it a criminal? Outstanding warrants?

I am not a US citizen and I went to jail twice here for speeding..This was way before the 1070 law.. Both times Department of homeland security called me along with the INS to see what I was doing in there country.. I said I was going to school and living at home.. Never heard from them again..  I got two fat speeding tickets and let out.. Never been deported back to canada.. Been living in AZ since 99.-- That just shows that the "law" has been in effect long before the 1070

ninous26

Oh and by the way, your comment about " I hope your overpriced drinks taste sour" is uncalled for. What the hell is wrong with you man? Relax, people are just trying to have a good time.. No need to wish bad things upon them.

jacob

Ok, take the car out of the equation and tell me who's more likely to get stopped and questioned for jaywalking or loitering?  The law allows for profiling, which is racist. They may say they don't profile, but I'm not buying that.  Just wait for legal Mexicans to start getting halted for walking or standing while Mexican.

And I know that the bulk of the law has been gutted by the courts and that all of it will likely be stricken later, but that doesn't absolve the racist state for passing it in the first place or the citizens who've supported it. They still won't see a dime if my money.

jacob

ninous26 said:
Oh and by the way, your comment about " I hope your overpriced drinks taste sour" is uncalled for. What the hell is wrong with you man? Relax, people are just trying to have a good time.. No need to wish bad things upon them.
That is directed to all those who will support the AANF in this year that they've denied an Assyrian filmmaker a space to show his work. I hope nobody has a good time if this is the way this organization is going to act. I've supported them in the past and have been happy to do so at the conventions, but their actions this year are uncalled for and that is why I will continue to call for a boycott.

I hear that they may reconsider letting Andre show his documentary, which I hope they do, but until that is confirmed I shall remain adamant about my feelings this year. Hopefully they can get their s**t together for the next one.

Hanuni

jacob said:
That is directed to all those who will support the AANF in this year that they've denied an Assyrian filmmaker a space to show his work. I hope nobody has a good time if this is the way this organization is going to act. I've supported them in the past and have been happy to do so at the conventions, but their actions this year are uncalled for and that is why I will continue to call for a boycott.

I hear that they may reconsider letting Andre show his documentary, which I hope they do, but until that is confirmed I shall remain adamant about my feelings this year. Hopefully they can get their s**t together for the next one.
Agree.

ninous26

jacob said:
Ok, take the car out of the equation and tell me who's more likely to get stopped and questioned for jaywalking or loitering?  The law allows for profiling, which is racist. They may say they don't profile, but I'm not buying that.  Just wait for legal Mexicans to start getting halted for walking or standing while Mexican.

And I know that the bulk of the law has been gutted by the courts and that all of it will likely be stricken later, but that doesn't absolve the racist state for passing it in the first place or the citizens who've supported it. They still won't see a dime if my money.
You do know that there are millions of hispanics and dark skin colored people here right? You probably have never even been here to AZ (excuse me if I'm wrong) so how do you know all of this? I doubt you have any idea as to whats going on.. Loitering, is illegal.. If a white person were to be jaywalking or loitering. They'd get questioned by police. Usually when someone is loitering they're up to no good anyways.. Perhaps you don't know how police are here.. Police here are some of the most chill people you'd ever meet. You will NOT get harrassed by police if you're jaywalking unless you're crossing roads dangerously in rush hour which would look like you're trying to commit suicide.

I have somehwat darker skin.. Never been harrassed by police in my life. I am outside a lot, my car draws tons of attention. I have darker than limo tint.. Never been harrased.. Only caught doing something illegal which is speeding..

This law applies to everyone here illegaly.. If you are here illegaly and you're from the UK, Canada, or whatever then you can be deported too just like the mexicans can.. If you're visiting, thats something else.. There are lots of cars here driving around with Mexican license plates.. They're obviously letting them in.. Why???? Because they came here the right way.. Not hoping fences and climbing mountains.

Just wait for mexicans to be halted? Dude this isn't nazi germany.. Stop making shit up. Nothing like that ever happens. This law, by the way is and has been effect soooo yeah.. They're not "halting" anyone.

We have mexican police, mexican political figures, mexican lawyers.. Ohh, and also some of the richest people in this state are.... guess what?? Mexican..

ninous26

jacob said:

I don't care about any of that. I'm just going to have a good time and meet other Assyrians. Either way, its not my fault what they are doing is making you unhappy.. So don't wich negative things upon me and other people that are going..

What are you so mad about?

jonadona

Arizona cops are anything but 'chill'.  Don't just judge by your experience.  I know a lot of people from Arizona that would disagree. 

This law is racist and encourages profiling.  Even cops in Arizona admit to this. 

Let's not defend something ridiculous for the sake of the Assyrian convention.  Everyone is free to choose whether to go or not. 

mechwarrior

giving assyrian bad name? Um how many lcd television were broken last year?

Damage alone on tv was nearly 1 million dollars according ex president of AF. You say why you making us look bad? Reminds me so much what happen in wisconsin for shara mut mariam. After all these assyrians starting find out about it, eventually it came down to people swearing at the priest their, dumpster fire(s) yes w/ s meaning multiple time, etc and what happened? NO MORE CAMPING AT HOLY HILLS why because we aren't bad, were very great christians who speak same language of jesus christ. NOT! disgrace.

rumrum

mechwarrior said:
giving assyrian bad name? Um how many lcd television were broken last year?

Damage alone on tv was nearly 1 million dollars according ex president of AF. You say why you making us look bad? Reminds me so much what happen in wisconsin for shara mut mariam. After all these assyrians starting find out about it, eventually it came down to people swearing at the priest their, dumpster fire(s) yes w/ s meaning multiple time, etc and what happened? NO MORE CAMPING AT HOLY HILLS why because we aren't bad, were very great christians who speak same language of jesus christ. NOT! disgrace.
lol what?....!

This is absurd, where are your sources?  lol  Speaking as someone who was actually part of the organizing committee for 2006 Convention in Chicago, I can clearly say that what you posted is completely FALSE.  First of all, the convention organization has to have an insurance policy to cover all costs or the hotel/resort won't even let them sign the dotted line.  It is rumored that AANF has an insurance policy of up to $1 Million dollars which is standard among lots of non-for-profit 501 C3 corporations.  Whatever damage happens inside the room, the credit card holder for that reservation is liable, not the AANF.  They are liable for damages outside the rooms and on property etc.

Holy Hill is a different matter all together so not sure where the comparison is.  It's FREE camping so of course people are going to run a muck.  We aren't the only ones that act a fool at these sort of things and I'm quite tired of people trying to bring negative light on our people.  For every bad I can point out a good in our community so please stop this nonsense.

Also, I believe they are letting Andre show his film after much activism.  Not sure why they denied it in the first place, maybe ego's got in the way or they thought it was something it wasn't (since they haven't even seen the film lol).  But I'm hoping he'll have a great turnout much like he will when he shows it nationwide at other cities.

mechwarrior

You should read what I carefully and youd know my source was and secondly

"First of all, the convention organization has to have an insurance policy to cover all costs or the hotel/resort won't even let them sign the dotted line.  It is rumored that AANF has an insurance policy of up to $1 Million dollars which is standard among lots of non-for-profit 501 C3 corporations.  Whatever damage happens inside the room, the credit card holder for that reservation is liable, not the AANF.  They are liable for damages outside the rooms and on property etc. "

Complete run-on because I said overall damage was 1 million in cost for broken damage and never said which party had pay for it.

"and I'm quite tired of people trying to bring negative light on our people.  For every bad I can point out a good in our community so please stop this nonsense."

Oh an Rum2 if something is for free, it doesn't mean you take advantage and both example do fit in as behavior in sociology field.  :welcome3:

Why certain hotel(s) won't allow the Federation to do convention then?    :giggle: I really don't think it's just 1-10 people doing something incorrectly to not allow our people to do another event at their hotel.

AssyrianBookTa

Conventions need to be booked years ahead of time. They get denied because they contact hotels with less then 6months to block out a major holiday that's probably already booked out. Sources actual convention departments of a hotel which an avn member works at.

rumrum

AssyrianBookTa said:
Conventions need to be booked years ahead of time. They get denied because they contact hotels with less then 6months to block out a major holiday that's probably already booked out. Sources actual convention departments of a hotel which an avn member works at.
Absolutely right.

No hotels have or ever will reject us for a convention unless we mess up on reservations and paperwork.  Case in point, in 1995 we had the convention in Sheraton Hotel in downtown Chicago.  Apparently we really "trashed" this place and got kicked out.  Well for 2003 and 2006 convention it was between Sheraton in Downtown and Schaumburg (2003) and Rosement (2006).  Why didn't they pick Sheraton? 

Simple. 

1.  They charged more per room night than the others.  If you don't know, the AANF also makes money per room night from the convention as well.  So, the cheaper room night charge they can make more money off the mark up which they pass on to us :)

2.  It's in downtown Chicago.  If it was held there, no one would attend the parties and other events.  Visitors would just sight-see and do other touristy stuff which I don't blame them.  Plus parking is ridiculous expensive.

Also mech, your report of $1 million of damage is false too.  I've seen the report with my own eyes.  I was part of that committee. And that is wrong.

Once and for all:  No hotel will ever "kick us out" of a convention.  AANF banks off of conventions, as well as the hotels that host it.  We do damage, yes, but not blown up to what people make it out to be.

Thank you and see you guys soon!!

GGBW

Hotels and convention centers have insurance against damages. It is a myth that we've been "banned" from places.  You guys need to stop perpetuating this stereotype of Assyrians. It's weird. And untrue.