• Our popular and beloved forums are finally back, after being down since April 2018 due to hosting and server issues. We have now switched to a better platform, while maintenaing all data as it was before (contents and user names) . Thank you for your patience and loyalty. If you have any questions, need to report an error, or are having trouble logging in, please email us at: assyrianvoice@rogers.com

Ancient assyrian cities

Neta1991

mrzurnaci said:
it was the largest of the capitals.

Personally, I think Ashur is better as it was our cultural and religious center prior to Christianity.
Nimrud might be better than Nineveh,  because it was more beautiful, with its palaces and zoo etc, and Nimrud was also once the largest city in the world, with about 75000 people living in Nimrud according to wikipedia, but Nineveh was once also the largest city, with its population.

When you say "largest city", you mean population, right?

mrzurnaci

Neta1991 said:
Nimrud might be better than Nineveh,  because it was more beautiful, with its palaces and zoo etc, and Nimrud was also once the largest city in the world, with about 75000 people living in Nimrud according to wikipedia, but Nineveh was once also the largest city, with its population.

When you say "largest city", you mean population, right?
yes

Joe25

I wonder how accurate the artists' impressions are in these kind of depictions. They're beautiful anyhow.

mrzurnaci

and why does ancient Assyrian cities matter? We should focus on the medieval Assyrian cities like Edessa and Tagrita

M

member 326969 Global

Nineveh was most likely the most populated city in the world for some time.

Cascade

mrzurnaci said:
and why does ancient Assyrian cities matter? We should focus on the medieval Assyrian cities like Edessa and Tagrita
Are you for real? These two cities have nothing on Nineveh. For starters, Assyria peaked in ancient times. So it's understandable why the cities in those days "matter".

mrzurnaci

Neon said:
Are you for real? These two cities have nothing on Nineveh. For starters, Assyria peaked in ancient times. So it's understandable why the cities in those days "matter".
that's really debatable, I can argue that Assyria peaked prior to Islam; especially considering the schools, churches, monasteries, and religions that were popping up within Assyria like Manichaeism and the Assyrian sect of Zoroastrianism

M

member 326969 Global

mrzurnaci said:
that's really debatable, I can argue that Assyria peaked prior to Islam; especially considering the schools, churches, monasteries, and religions that were popping up within Assyria like Manichaeism and the Assyrian sect of Zoroastrianism
Ancient Mesopotamian cities like Nineveh are among the most important cities in world history. We had many achievements afterwards too but we were leading the world in antiquity.

Cascade

Sharukinu said:
Ancient Mesopotamian cities like Nineveh are among the most important cities in world history. We had many achievements afterwards too but we were leading the world in antiquity.
Yeah, this.

Nemrud

I would say, ashur, nineveh and nimrud because ashur is were our name come from and was also our cultural capital, nineveh, largest city in the world, nimrud, also largest city in the world, my conclusion is that if we got a country nimrud should be the capital because, 1: we will never have nineveh or ashur, and 2: nimrud is better than ashur but its not better or worse than nineveh, because both nimrud and nineveh was the largest in the world and ashur never was that. And also my name is nemrud=nimrud, compliment. Also the city of Nimrud is located in a strategic position 10 kilometres north of the point that the river Tigris meets its tributary the Great Zab, which is good for safety, ashur is also located on a strategic position but it wasnt the largest city in the world, and we will never have it anyway.

Nemrud

According to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nimrud Nimrud is located in Noomanea, Nineveh Governorate, Iraq in the nineveh plains. Its already inhabited, l think more assyrians should move there but its up to them.