• Our popular and beloved forums are finally back, after being down since April 2018 due to hosting and server issues. We have now switched to a better platform, while maintenaing all data as it was before (contents and user names) . Thank you for your patience and loyalty. If you have any questions, need to report an error, or are having trouble logging in, please email us at: assyrianvoice@rogers.com

Accept people into being assyrian

Neta1991

I am also thinking about accepting mandeans as assyrians becuase they speak aramaic and everyone in the assyrian empire spoke aramaic and they were automatic assyrians.

Cascade

So you easily accept another ethnic group such as Mandeans as Assyrian (when they're not) and yet you reject actual Assyrians (westerners) as being Assyrian (where you call them "Aramean" instead)?

Well, Muslim Assyrians will always be Assyrian, regardless of how I perceive them. Now I wouldn't agree with them and I would lambaste them, but I can't just simply say "not Assyrian". This isn't a rational way to win a case.

Cascade

Neta1991 said:
But the mandeans have akkadian ancestors, the babylonians were akkadians.
Sure, we might share a common ancestry with Mandeas. Even Iraqis may have Akkadian ancestors, doesn't mean they're fully Mesopotamian.

Mandeans seem rather mixed. They have a bit of Marsh Arab, Persian and Assyrian/Akkadian in them. They're not a homogeneous ethnicity.

There is no acceptance of people as 'Assyrian'. You either are Assyrian or aren't.

There's no point of compromise or particular percentage of admixture which could qualify you as an Assyrian nor will you be acknowledged as an Assyrian because you speak the language.

Bronit Omta

Neta1991 said:
I am also thinking about accepting mandeans as assyrians becuase they speak aramaic and everyone in the assyrian empire spoke aramaic and they were automatic assyrians.

Assyrian Muslims are fine so long as they have merit to them being Assyrian. An Iraqi Arab from Ramadi can't just come and say he's Assyrian as he isn't close to what a modern Assyrian is.

More so, Mandeans may be similar to us, but they are not Assyrians.

Cascade

Mr. Tambourine Man said:
There is no acceptance of people as 'Assyrian'. You either are Assyrian or aren't.

There's no point of compromise or particular percentage of admixture which could qualify you as an Assyrian nor will you be acknowledged as an Assyrian because you speak the language.
Funny thing is there was a user in here who disregarded me and another user for being Assyrian because of our sexuality. ;)

But yeah, you're right.