The NEYMAR thread: Goals, Stats, Videos, News and more

Neymar won 3rd best player in the 2015 Ballon D'Or balloting behind first place Messi and second place Cristiano Ronaldo!

Hopefully he wins his first in 2016.

ASHOOR

Neymar has been in a bit of a slump in the last few months, at least by his standards.

But it was all forgotten today when his team Barcelona won the Spanish La Liga, making it his second consecutive La Liga title since joining the Catalan club in the fall of 2013.

Next week, he has a chance to win a second consecutive Copa Del Rey when his team meets Seville in the final.

Too bad there will be no Champions League repeat for him this year.

ASHOOR

Neymar scored a goal and helped Barcelona beat Sevilla 2-0 to win Copa Del Rey for the second year in a row!

Neymar has now won the following since joining Barcelona in the summer of 2013:

La Liga: 2014?15, 2015?16
Copa del Rey: 2014?15, 2015?16
Supercopa de Espa?a: 2013
UEFA Champions League: 2014?15
UEFA Super Cup: 2015
FIFA Club World Cup: 2015

Not bad at all which makes a strong case for those who want Neymar to go to another team where he will be the leader and not have to be under the shadow of Messi.

ASHOOR

Can't believe I didn't update this thread to add Neymar's latest and best accomplishment for Brazil: finally winning Olympic gold medal for Brazil!

ASHOOR

It has been exactly 4 years since I updated this thread and what better time than this week, where Neymar has surpassed Ronaldo to become the second highest scorer in Brazil’s history at 64.

he needs 13 goals to match Pele’s record of 77 goal!

while we know Neymar is an amazing player, and despite not being at the level of Ronaldo and Pele, you can’t deny this is a great accomplishment. Especially considering that he is 28 and still have a few more years left in him and barring any injuries.

On the other hand, here is an article with 9 reasons why Ronaldo is easily better than Neymar!

While I agree with this article and still think Ronaldo is the second best Brazilian player ever behind Pele, you still have to give Neymar some credit. For one, he did win a CL, something Ronaldo mysteriously never won. The other thing I have to give Neymar credit fit is that he doesn’t have nearly as good teammates now as Ronaldo did. The latter played with Rivaldo, Romário and Ronaldinho. While the best Neymar has had in the last 6 years with the NT included the likes of Coutinho, Fred, Hulk, Jesus and other good, but not legendary names. Yet he still managed to score 64 goals and assist about 41 goals.

after Neymar scores 3 goals against Peru, he is now second on all time Brazil scorers, only second to the king himself.
D1E16105-E94A-4A9D-B898-CF0FA56945A7.jpeg

after Neymar scores 3 goals against Peru, he is now second on all time Brazil scorers, only second to the king himself.
View attachment 13080
Amazing array of talented players in that photo, but as you know, my all time favourite is the one with 39 goals. I am still nicknamed after him even though with age, I no longer look like him.

But I agree with what you said about Neymar, not having the same talented team mates as Ronaldo and Pele. This is the same arguement in the Maradona v Messi debate, where Maradona had the worst team mates but still won a World Cup Final and lost one whereas Messi with great team mates only has an Olympic Gold medal. Unfortunately (and perhaps luckily), this thread would have been added to at the time of the Russian World Cup had it been accessible with all of Neymar's antics which rubbed many fans including Brazilians the wrong way. Perhaps, that more than anything else will stain the Neymar legacy even if he surpasses Pele's goal record.

Neymar is playing in a Weak French league, and is being used along 2 other Strikers, so I often see him as overrated and not a team player! He is way far off to reach the heights of Zico, Ronaldo & Co

Unfortunately and once again, Neymar is injured! This seem to be happening top often in his career. See video of the nasty tackle yesterday by a fellow Brazilian out of all players (French league game)
View: https://youtu.be/IjfoWzo_sjE

So I was curious to see how many times Neymar has been injured and how much play time he has missed. According to the website below :

How many days and games has Neymar lost due to injuries?

96 games
544 games

And that doesn’t even seem to include games for the national team.

I will take a guess and think that he is now close to, it not more, than games/time lost by Ronaldo to injuries (both for Brazil and the various clubs he played for but mainly Inter)

Source: https://www.transfermarkt.us/neymar/verletzungen/spieler/68290#/

Over the weekend, Twitter and other online media outlets were buzzing about Neymar saying in a recent interview that WC 2022 will be his last, as he doesn’t want to deal with the pressure of soccer etc. Not sure how you feel about this , but here are my thoughts:

-Whether he said it or not, based on what se have been seeing, we will be lucky to get a 70-80% in form Neymar, never mind coming back in 2026 where he will be 34!

-While he may have been saying what is on his mind, I don’t know if it needed to be said. First off, it will confirm what his critics are saying lately, that he simply doesn’t care and as a result , getting in shape is not a top priority.

-This also shows lack of hunger. I didn’t see the likes of Messi or CR7 saying this at his age and don’t see them saying it even now when they know they have one WC left in them, after having already played 4. And even if they know it, they probably wouldn’t announce it or attribute it to pressure. Don’t show your cards!

-While I didn’t read the full interview or what type of ‘pressure he is referring to , I am disappointed because we have always known Neymar to be someone who not only doesn’t mind pressure but even thrives in it. And with aging, while expectations will increase, he should have more experience to deal with it.

Someone made a good point here after CA (could have been me?) : that after finally winning a NT title, Messi will go into that WC a little more relaxed and with less pressure , since he did manage to win something after all. This would have been the same for Neymar. Sure, winning a historic first Olympic gold for Brazil should have helped, unfortunately it didn’t in WC 2018 or CA 2022.

Sad to report , but Neymar has suffered another serious (sprained ankle) injury which will keep him away for up two months.

Neymar has now had close to 10 serious injuries in his career, the majority of which came in the violent French league.

Neymar is 30 years old today. Man how time flies! I first started following him around 2009/2010 when he was playing for Santos.

For reference, here is the first post I made about Neymar, back in May 2010!

B362C94C-21D0-469E-B9AE-AD9BAFE86B45.jpeg

If Neymar manages to score at this WC, he will have accomplished a rare feat that I believe only Cristiano Ronaldo has?

It is a streak of scoring at every international tournament he has played in:

2011 CA

2014 WC

2015 CA

2018 WC

2021 CA

And if you include the Olympics and Confederations Cup, then you add the following to the list:

2012 Olympics

2013 Confederations Cup

2016 Olympics

CR7 has achieved something similar but in a lot more tournaments:

2004 Euro

2006 WC

2008 Euro

2010 WC

2012 Euro

2014 WC

2016 Euro

2018 WC

2020 Euro

Interestingly, he also scored in the two other tournaments he played in: 2004 Olympics and 2017 Confederations Cup.

Now that is longevity, especially for CR7, to be able to score in 9 straight tournaments (11 if you count the other non official ones) over a span of 17 years! Something even Messi couldn’t do (didn’t score at the 2010 WC)

Scoring in the Copa America is no where near as big a deal as the World Cup. For a while, the corrupt South Americans were having the Copa America every year. So ridiculous it was, that for 2020, nobody wanted to host it and Conmebol asked Australia (you read that right) to host the Copa America. In the end Argentina and Colombia agreed to host it, which was then cancelled due to Covid.

Miroslav Klose, Pele, Cristiano Ronaldo and Uwe Seelar are the only men to have scored in 4 world cups and their record is what impresses me. Cristiano Ronaldo will want to beat these players' record by becoming the first man to score in 5 world cups (Messi never scored in 2010).

Spewing that Tim Cahill never scored in Russia 2018. He would have stood next to the men mentioned above.

Scoring in the Copa America is no where near as big a deal as the World Cup. For a while, the corrupt South Americans were having the Copa America every year. So ridiculous it was, that for 2020, nobody wanted to host it and Conmebol asked Australia (you read that right) to host the Copa America. In the end Argentina and Colombia agreed to host it, which was then cancelled due to Covid.

Miroslav Klose, Pele, Cristiano Ronaldo and Uwe Seelar are the only men to have scored in 4 world cups and their record is what impresses me. Cristiano Ronaldo will want to beat these players' record by becoming the first man to score in 5 world cups (Messi never scored in 2010).

Spewing that Tim Cahill never scored in Russia 2018. He would have stood next to the men mentioned above.

Very interesting post Bani and wow how did I forget to mention that if CR7 scores, he will have achieved something that will be close to impossible to match or break, which is to score in 5 World Cups! Imagine how hard it is to play in multiple world cups. Now imagine playing in 5 and scoring in all of them at least once. Absolutely amazing.

LOL Conmebol, it is one of the worst run and most corrupt federations. Never mind that, the CFB itself is pretty bad and the silly things they come up. That was hilarious about CONMEBOL asking Australia - all the way on the other side of the world - to host Copa lol 😂.

Neymar has done it! He scored two goals against Bolivia to break Pele's 52 year record of most goals for the Brazilian national team! He now has 79 goals in 105 games.

No matter what you think of him, this is a huge accomplishment.

ASHOOR

Back