Author Topic: Should Assyrian churches be pressured to fundraise for Assyrian defense forces?  (Read 1348 times)

Offline ASHOOR

• Administrator
  • www.AssyrianVoice.net
    • Assyrian Voice
We all know that Assyrian churches are the most effective Assyrian fund-raising institutions. I mean when was the last time you went to church and didn't deposit any money in the basket (offering plate)?

With that being the case, do you think it is a good idea to ask churches to fund-raise for NPU or other Assyrian defense force and armies that are fighting to protect our people and areas in Iraq and Syria? Similarly, should they (churches) dedicate 10% of the donations they get from from one Sunday or a whole month to go towards this cause?

I know it will be close to impossible to do this. The Assyrian church already has ACERO to collect money for humanitarian needs, but it is just that, not to support a military. And as per another discussion we were having, will this be crossing a line? for a church to be asking for donations to support a military force...?

But if something like this was to happen, the money will flow like crazy. If even 10% gets directed to fund an Assyrian defense force in the Nineveh Plain for example, in one Sunday, you can collect thousands of dollars. Do that for hundreds of churches worldwide and you are talking millions of dollars in a matter of a few Sundays.

And last question, would it be unethical if the church doesn't tell us some of the money is going to fund an Assyrian force, yet they still dedicate some of that money to such a cause? In other words, you give your $20 on Sunday thinking it is going to the church, when in fact, the church will take $5 from it and give it support an Assyrian force. Would you have a problem with that?

ASHOOR
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 02:11:07 PM by ASHOOR »

-Like Assyrian Voice? Want to post here? then join us NOW!

-Booking a hotel anytime soon? Assyrian Voice has an affiliate with Hotels.com : please book through the link below and AssyrianVoice gets a commission from each booking: http://www.jdoqocy.com/click-2932820-10443216-1426796392000

Offline elevated

Unfortunately, the church has taken the place of where a secular institution should have been. Given that, they have a responsibility to allocate a large sum of that money to building our forces in Iraq and Syria. They should be boycotted if they don't. Christianity doesn't say you can't fight back and defend yourself.

Offline ASHOOR

• Administrator
  • www.AssyrianVoice.net
    • Assyrian Voice
Unfortunately, the church has taken the place of where a secular institution should have been. Given that, they have a responsibility to allocate a large sum of that money to building our forces in Iraq and Syria. They should be boycotted if they don't. Christianity doesn't say you can't fight back and defend yourself.

Good answer! In other words, since we still can't separate church from state, or at least given that church is a big part of most Assyrians' lives, why not use that huge influence the church has, to collect money for our various Assyrian defense forces....

ASHOOR

-Booking a hotel anytime soon? Assyrian Voice has an affiliate with Hotels.com : please book through the link below and AssyrianVoice gets a commission from each booking: http://www.jdoqocy.com/click-2932820-10443216-1426796392000

Assyrian Voice Forum

Offline assyrian103

I dont think that it would be a good idea. The churches are already split because of political differences. And making donations to one group instead of the other would cause more factionalism in the church community. They should focus more on the humanitarian aspect while the secular institutions focus more on the military aspects.

Offline ASHOOR

• Administrator
  • www.AssyrianVoice.net
    • Assyrian Voice
I dont think that it would be a good idea. The churches are already split because of political differences. And making donations to one group instead of the other would cause more factionalism in the church community. They should focus more on the humanitarian aspect while the secular institutions focus more on the military aspects.

You make a valid point.

Ok, what about simply asking people to donate to these armies? like the church won't take the money but they encourage you and promote their funding...

Would that be OK?

ASHOOR

Offline Kosovo1389

I want to begin by reiterating that I am a devout Christian and a son the ACOE. What I am about to say is for the good of all and not just meant to critique or look unfavorably upon anyone. It severely pains to see all of my Catholic and Protestant Assyrian compatriots here in Los Angeles turn our church into a laughingstock. What hurts me more is that they aren’t lying, even though Catholic and Protestant churches refuse to even step up and help out, but only criticize the ACOE. So I want to point out where the ACOE is going wrong with this and how it can correct itself. I think that there should definitely be tremendous pressure right on our churches, and specifically the ACOE, to fund the NPU. The people want the church to help our people. I think that not just 10%, but at least 50% of all church income should have been directed to ACERO as soon as the ISIS crisis began. This should be going on right now. Furthermore, after the NPU was formed, they should have said that they would direct 5-10% towards the NPU, because they are the only thing standing between our people a new Simele or Seyfo right now. They should have then put the other 40% or whatever towards funding ACERO in the refugee crisis. Believe me, the only thing we need right now is for solvent and financially sustainable churches, we don’t need profits or bigger churches or remodeled churches or more luxurious and opulent churches. That mistake was what prevented the property of the church from becoming multipurpose to serve the needs of the Assyrian community, the only focus was on remodeling and making everything more radiant. The church itself is a necessary part of the property and should function only as a spiritual and hallowed ground. I would understand expanding it to fit in more people, but all we kept seeing was remodeling and rebuilding to make things look grander and God forgive me, more grandeur. What difference does it make if the floor is entirely slabs of marble or just some ceramic tiles from Home Depot or carpet? Does it matter if the ma’apra the priest is wearing is silk or just some common fabric? Must the dapa be made of quartz or is just some nominal wholesale chunk of granite sufficient? We have priests and deacons living in million dollar estates and wearing designer clothing/shoes and driving cars worth six figures. This is not right, the people are suffering in the Motherland. We have priests who spent this past New Year at an all-inclusive villa in Cabo San Lucas with their family when Assyrian people are homeless and hungry and cold in refugee camps. This is not the first time, we have about destinations ranging from Cancun to Rio de Janeiro and even Venice. This is a joke. I was watching RT a few days ago and they were showing Syrian Christian refugees who have fled ISIS and are now on the border with Turkey. They were almost naked and barefoot, emaciated, and walking around in frigid temperatures. I almost fainted when I saw it all so raw. I felt guilty that I have central heating and sufficient food and proper clothing. How can we not expect those who claim to be living to serve Christ not walk their own talk? If hypocrisy is supposed to me immoral and wrong, doesn’t that apply to all? The place where the money is in our Assyrian community is the church, and we should not just expect but demand that churches help those in suffering and safeguard them. If they don’t, we should hold them accountable.             
Modify message
Zivjela Srbija.

Offline Gwhergis

• Contribute to the NPU
“do you think it is a good idea to ask churches to fund-raise for NPU or other Assyrian defense force and armies that are fighting to protect our people and areas in Iraq and Syria?”

>Yes. Specifically the NPU.

“ Similarly, should they (churches) dedicate 10% of the donations they get from one Sunday or a whole month to go towards this cause?”

>Yes. I would demand 30% to relief and 20% to the NPU

"I know it will be close to impossible to do this."

>The mechanics of this campaign should be discussed once we can agree on pressuring the church. That is a matter of what the church-goers ask of their clergy. Enough pressure can make any man-made institution alter itself.

“The Assyrian church already has ACERO to collect money for humanitarian needs, but it is just that, not to support a military.”

>^This is the root of the problem. In our own minds, we have fooled ourselves into separating military from humanitarian needs, as if self-preservation and self-defense are irreconcilable when, in fact, the exact opposite is true. We cannot go on in life without systems to resist external attacks, be they from diseases or other humans. Just take a look at the US army, who do not only deal in killing but in delivering food and supplies to victims of disasters.

“ And as per another discussion we were having, will this be crossing a line? for a church to be asking for donations to support a military force...?”

>Yes we are crossing a line. We needed to cross it years ago. Christianity stresses a personal relationship with God, especially the way American Christians view it. People here in the US are not compelled to go to church just to hear the same verses over and over. The church has become very irrelevant in the lives of young Assyrians, and stands for very little except the very church itself. It claims it wants no part in politics, yet social politics are part of human nature itself. Because of this claim, the church acts as if it in and of itself is not affected by politics, disregarding the various splits and internal strife that has been weakening this institution for the past 500 years, have only made the church blind to its own problems.

"But if something like this was to happen, the money will flow like crazy. If even 10% gets directed to fund an Assyrian defense force in the Nineveh Plain for example, in one Sunday, you can collect thousands of dollars. Do that for hundreds of churches worldwide and you are talking millions of dollars in a matter of a few Sundays."

>That is a matter of what the church-goers ask of their clergy. Enough pressure can make any man-made institution fold. And this church is man-made.

"And last question, would it be unethical if the church doesn't tell us some of the money is going to fund an Assyrian force, yet they still dedicate some of that money to such a cause? In other words, you give your $20 on Sunday thinking it is going to the church, when in fact, the church will take $5 from it and give it support an Assyrian force. Would you have a problem with that?"

>Some would call it unethical, but ethics is in the eye of the beholder. I would want the church to be honest, not because of ethics, but because I am sure, that when Assyrians know their dollars are being spent to establish a military that protects their humanitarian needs, they’ll dig a little bit deeper. I know my family will. More than that, it will draw people like me back to church.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 02:28:37 PM by Gwhergis »

Offline AshurayaPlasha

• Ashur will unite us
I wont take our churches seriously until they start supporting our military
Even after the fall of Nineveh (612BC) The Assyrians lived under their own law, they had their own autonomy under the different names such as Athura, Adiabene and Asuristan. It lasted till the 7th century AD.

Sennacherib II(2), was an Assyrian Governor or 'king' of northern Asuristan in 372 AD.

Raise Funds For Assyrian Defense Forces

Started by eszBoard News & Current Events

Replies: 3
Views: 385
Last post November 29, 2014, 05:40:08 PM
by thomator
Assyrian churches in Urmi from ACOE calendar for Urmi region

Started by Free_AssyriaBoard Culture & History

Replies: 4
Views: 1385
Last post February 15, 2007, 08:19:55 PM
by Free_Assyria
Islamists Tear Down Crosses From Assyrian Churches, Tell Christians to Convert o

Started by YounanBoard News & Current Events

Replies: 12
Views: 1669
Last post April 30, 2007, 11:14:14 AM
by atourina
Baghdad Assyrian District Emptied; Churches, Monasteries Abandoned

Started by Free_AssyriaBoard News & Current Events

Replies: 0
Views: 554
Last post May 21, 2007, 07:42:37 PM
by Free_Assyria
Article: New emerging powerful Assyrian Christian defense militias in Syria